Getting to work on Mac OS X

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
asmeurer

Re: Getting to work on Mac OS X

Post by asmeurer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:01 pm

I tried download qjackctl and using that, but I can't seem to get it to start jack with coreaudio (as it shows in the screenshot on that page you linked to). I think I might have the settings wrong for it. Currently it is running the command

Code: Select all

jackd -v -R -dcoreaudio -r96000 -p1024
and it says that jack won't start. Jack pilot launches jack just fine, but when I do that and route the connection with qjackctl I still get just the left ear.

If I can't get the right ear to work, is that soundfont in stereo? I could probably find a software that will mirror the left ear over to the right ear, but of course that would make it mono.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Now you can try to run LS as audio unit plugin. It's a lot easier.

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Well, that was much easier. I am now hearing it in both ears like I should, but there is another problem. With that giga file I mentioned earlier, the sustains are always on regardless of what my pedal is doing, and seemingly random notes will play with no sustain or any kind of reverb at all (i.e., they turn off immediately after releasing the key). The pattern seems to be that notes played fast (loud) that aren't currently being sustained do this. This problem didn't seem to exist when I was using jack and only heard it in my left ear. Is this perhaps the bug you mentioned in that other post? I can't find anywhere to download an older build of qsampler for the mac. The one I am using according to the about box is:
Version: 0.2.1
Build: Jan 5 2008 11:14:32

Using: liblscp 0.5.5, libgig 3.2.1.

By the way, I am using GarageBand '08 to get the audio unit.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

asmeurer wrote:With that giga file I mentioned earlier, the sustains are always on regardless of what my pedal is doing, and seemingly random notes will play with no sustain or any kind of reverb at all (i.e., they turn off immediately after releasing the key). The pattern seems to be that notes played fast (loud) that aren't currently being sustained do this.
I can't reproduce this. Can you record a simple midi file that show this behavior?
asmeurer wrote:Is this perhaps the bug you mentioned in that other post?
No, v0.2.1 is fine.

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:44 pm

I think I can get a sample file. GarageBand requires some tricky manipulation to export to midi. Basically I have to use MIDI out and Melody Assistant. Is there an email or something that I could send those files to? I don't have a website that I can upload them to.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 pm

asmeurer wrote:With that giga file I mentioned earlier, the sustains are always on regardless of what my pedal is doing, and seemingly random notes will play with no sustain or any kind of reverb at all (i.e., they turn off immediately after releasing the key).
Got it. Instead of note off, your keyboard is sending note on with velocity 0. So I should treat note on with zero velocity as note off.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:54 pm

grishata wrote: Got it. Instead of note off, your keyboard is sending note on with velocity 0. So I should treat note on with zero velocity as note off.
Yes this is specified by the MIDI specs, so please add it to the AU MIDI handling code. (the Win MME MIDI code in LS should be fairly complete in terms of MIDI message support
so just take a look and check that every possibile MIDI event coming into the AU plugin is dispatched properly to the LS engine.
I did not look at your AU code so it could already be complete (sans note on with velocity = 0). In that case just ignore my message :)

Basically the feature that NOTE ON with velocity 0 equals NOTE OFF it was
included in the MIDI specs in order to allow the resending of the status byte during a sequence of NOTE ON, NOTE OFF commands which can save up to 1/3 of the bandwidth
(you send 2 MIDI bytes instead of 3) and since the MIDI serial interface is relatively slow (about 3000 bytes/sec), reducing the bandwidth by 1/3 can help to avoid clogging the
MIDI channel.
Better MIDI keyboards can send NOTE OFF values with the corresponding release velocity which could be used in multisamples in order to provide more faithful playback of
natural instruments etc.

cheers,
Benno

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:45 am

asmeurer wrote:With that giga file I mentioned earlier, the sustains are always on regardless of what my pedal is doing, and seemingly random notes will play with no sustain or any kind of reverb at all (i.e., they turn off immediately after releasing the key).
Try the new test release to see if it's working now.
sbenno wrote:the Win MME MIDI code in LS should be fairly complete in terms of MIDI message support so just take a look and check that every possibile MIDI event coming into the AU plugin is dispatched properly to the LS engine.
Thanks, the MIDI event handling should be more accurate now.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:25 pm

asmeurer,
Sorry, I think I deleted your last post by mistake. I should pay more attention where I'm clicking. :oops:

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:08 am

YAY! It works. Thank you for working on this. I was messing around quitting and restarting GarageBand and qsampler and I got the left ear bug again, but a restart fixed it. The problem is that qsampler does not take it well if GarageBand closes off its connection to it, and I often have to force quit it if I forget to quit it first. I did do a killall linuxsampler, but somehow it still happened. Maybe I will try fantasia, even though I have to change the Java settings back and forth to use it (other Java apps don't work so well with Java 6).
Anyhow, you might want to look into that bug. I am personally content that I can finally get that awesome giga file to work for me.