The Newbies mission...HELP please

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
bruce

The Newbies mission...HELP please

Post by bruce » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’m an amateur hobbyist who plays keyboards & would love to be able to use Gigasampler files with Linux Sampler on my PC. Unfortnately, I know almost nothing about source code, Linux/line prompt commands & computer programming being your everyday normal common non-techie Windows user.

I downloaded & installed the full Windows package however I didn’t get the program to work as I may not have all of the files (such as drivers) that are needed. I would like to be able to play/trigger the soundfiles with my synthesizer and with my computer keyboard.
Please, would any of you be willing to walk me step by step through the process that will get the program suite to be in full working order and/or point me to a tutorial that does the same thing?

I wish I knew how to proceed so I can utilize my gigasample file collection , start making music and having some fun.

Thanks so much in advance for taking an active interest in my case.

Bruce

dakylla
User

Re: The Newbies mission...HELP please

Post by dakylla » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 pm

hi, welcome

maybe you should read this : http://www.linuxsampler.org/windows.html

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi Bruce,

There are a few basic questions that must be asked in order to help you...

What soundcard are you using? Does it come with ASIO drivers or will you be using the generic ASIO4ALL drivers?
What MIDI interface are you using? Through your soundcard or USB Midi?
If you're using the Fantasia Frontend, do you have Java installed?
What GIG instrument files do you have to load into Linuxsampler?

We can walk you through this, step by step if needed, so please keep posting and asking questions. Read the windows installer article first, try to get it all running, and then come back armed with your queries ;)

GrahamG

bruce

Sorry for the delay in my response/still here!!

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:44 pm

as I lost my job earlier this month and been in a funk!

Anyways, here is an opportunity to get this working with your valuable assistance.

All components including JAVA have been installed as required/recommended.
My soundcard is Soundblaster Live. ASIO4All generic drivers are installed. MIDI interface's origin may be Creative. Came with the card ? I don't know for sure. Sorry ....as it's been there years but used little. Just got back into playing keyboards last month.

Here is my current roadblock!

Trying to get an instrument loaded to audition:

Linux and Fantasia are both open and get the following error:

"Linux was not built with instrument database support."

I tried to give you a screenshot of the error message & the screen around it but it won't copy over to this post. How do I attach an image of gif file to a post here in this forum.?

Was trying to figure out a way to load a gig/instrument file.

BTW, to answer your question I have loads of gig files collected over the course of time.

Thanks for continued interest and support in this particular quest.

Bruce

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi Bruce,
Sorry I missed your post...

The Windows version of LinuxSampler does not support the database yet, so that error is 'normal'.

For a good over view of how to use Fantasia take a look at http://linuxsampler.org/jsampler/manual ... mpler.html.

For a more recent version of LinuxSampler for Windows and a good How-To for installing and using LinuxSampler and Fantasia as a Virtaul Theater Pipe Organ see http://organs.110mb.com/FreedomSpecial_ ... frame.html

I recommend using the more recent version as it allows setting the Polyphony settings and uses the most recent version of Fantasia.

Let me know if you have any questions after reading through these two links :-)

GrahamG