How do we get Windows VST working?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
ggoodesa
Advanced User

How do we get Windows VST working?

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:27 am

Hi,
I have compiled the CVS of libgig, linuxsampler, and gigedit in Windows using the ASIO_SDK and the VST_SDK from Steinberg. I have linuxsampler/Fantasia working well, but have not been able to get the VST going at all. I have tried loading the dll in the vst directory using 'VST Host' and 'Cantabile 1.2 Lite' but it doesn't pick it up. What do I need to do to get this working as I want to use a VST reverb effect with Linuxsampler in Windows.

Thanks,
GrahamG

Andreas
Developer

Re: How do we get Windows VST working?

Post by Andreas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:09 pm

You need to have libgig-6.dll and liblinuxsampler-1.dll in a directory that is in your PATH, maybe that is what you're missing?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for the tip Andreas, I'll give that a try in the morning. Feeling like I'm fighting off the flu now, so headed to bed :(

Will post tomorrow night with results ;)

GrahamG

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:47 am

Hi,

Quick update... I have Linuxsampler VST/Fantasia loading in VST Host, I'm able to load an instrument, but when I use the Fantasia keyboard nothing plays, no sound. When attempting to load in Cantible 1.2 Lite, Fantasia loads, but as soon I try to load an instrument it crashes. Sonar 6 still does not pick up the VST when doing a scan. I'll try this on the desktop when I get home in 7 hours too. Is there anyway to see the linuxsampler server messages when using VST?

GrahamG

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi again,

I have it loading now in Sonar 6 - it was another issue with the Path so just dumped the dlls into Windows\system32. Fantasia loads, but when loading an instrument it crashes with a reference to liblinuxsampler-1.dll, then I get that wonderful blue screen of death and a reboot... (this is still with the 22nd Dec build, so will see if I can get the latest CVS building a little later and test with that if it builds).

GrahamG

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:02 pm

If you rebuild LS with --enable-debug-level=2, then the VST will log some debug info into C:\linuxsamplervst.log. Maybe that can be useful to track down the problems.