Can linuxsampler run on libgig6

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
alecjcook

Can linuxsampler run on libgig6

Post by alecjcook » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 am

Hi,
While compiling the source code for linuxsampler I received the following message:
Required libgig version not found!
You need to have libgig version 3.2.1 installed!
I have libgig6 installed on my OS, because I can't get libgig-3.2.1 installed. Can I not force linuxsampler to use libgig6 somehow?

Cheers

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Can linuxsampler run on libgig6

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:15 am

I don't know how to get linuxsampler to use the Ubuntu built libgig6... but I do know how to get rid of libgig6 so that the Debian build of libgig-3.2.1 can be installed. You will need to use Synaptic, search for Qsampler, make sure it either unistalled or select the complete uninstall option. Then do a search for gigedit, do the same, then do a search for gigtools, make sure complete uninstall is selected, finally do a search for libgig and make sure that complete uninstall is selected. (I'm not on my Ubuntu computer at the moment, so this is from memory - I will check this a little later today).

Then you are free to install libgig-3.2.1 and the libgig-dev so that you can compile linuxsampler if you need to.

GrahamG

camobrite

Post by camobrite » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:03 pm

I got rid of libgig6 on my debian system by entering (as root):

apt-get purge libgig6

This removes all of the libgig6 files, including configuration files. Then I was able to locally install linuxsampler's libgig package. Also, you should use synaptic/aptitude to hold your linuxsampler packages at their current version, otherwise apt might reinstall libgig6. IMHO, the fact that it excludes linuxsampler packages from the standard debian/ubuntu/$LINUX repositories is THE biggest problem with the non-commercial license, since it makes installation such an unnecessary pain. It would be so nice to just apt-get linuxsampler! :cry:

camobrite

Post by camobrite » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:39 pm

This is explained here.