Playing midi files

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
mmontone

Playing midi files

Post by mmontone » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:27 am

Hello,
I'm a linuxsampler and music synthesis software newbe. My problem is I've installed and have working linuxsample on Windows. I've created a channel from a Steinway.gig file I have. Now I'd like to test it's working. So I'd like to play a midi file with that sample. How can I do this?? I've been able to do it on linux, using linuxsample and kmid, but had distortion problems, so I decided to switch to Windows to try. Now, I was able to choose the correct midi output in kmid, but I don't know how to do that on Windows. Windows midi programs see one midi output only.

Thanks in advance!!

Mariano

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Playing midi files

Post by ggoodesa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:50 am

Hi Mariano,

To do this in windows you will need some virtual MIDI ports to take the MIDI signals from you MIDI player to LinuxSampler. The two free ones are MIDI Yoke (go to http://www.midiox.com/ and click on the MIDI Yoke link) or Maple (http://www.hurchalla.com/Maple_driver.html).

Once you have installed your virtual MIDI ports you will need to configure LinuxSampler to use them. Are you using Qsampler or Fantasia as your front-end? Click on the MIDI device and in the options section you will be able to select the virtual MIDI IN port.

Then in you MIDI player application select the same virtual MIDI port number, but this time it will be MIDI out.

You should then be able to play the MIDI file using the Steinway GIG.

Hope this helps,
GrahamG

mmontone

Post by mmontone » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:18 pm

GrahamG,
thank you for your help. It works and it sounds beautiful!!

I don't have the cable to connect my keyboard, but for when I have it, do you know what I have to use the sample with it?? I have a Casio CDP 100. It has a midi output and a midi input. I hope a new midi input will appear available and that's all. The same with the output, so I can send the processed sound back to the keyboard and listen the sound from it, but I don't know.This is the cable that's in the way: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11277

Thanks again

Mariano

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Mariano,

Glad that you got it working!

Remember that MIDI is not sound, it is merely controller text messages - so sending MIDI out to your casio will only play the casio sounds.

I would suggest downloading MIDI-OX so that you can map any MIDI input and outputs (including the Casio MIDI In and MIDI Out). You will of course also be able to just change the MIDI device setting within Qsampler or Fantasia to read MIDI from the Casio.

Have fun!

GrahamG

mmontone

Post by mmontone » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:17 am

Oh...good to know that about sending MIDI to the piano. Hadn't thought about that.

I've already got MIDI-OX and seems ok for my purposes.

Thank you again for your helping me!

Mariano