Stereo Instruments

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Mike

Stereo Instruments

Post by Mike » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:33 am

Hi all, I'm working with the old (classic??) Peter Siedlaczek orchestral samples and trying to create stereo instruments using gigedit. There are separate left/right and pp/ff mono wav samples for each note. I can successfully create a mono instrument with dynamic cross-fading using the 'layer' dimension but whenever I add a sample to a region split using the 'sample channel' dimension the dimension disappears leaving me with a mono region. Can someone explain whats going on here? Cheers

Andreas
Developer

Re: Stereo Instruments

Post by Andreas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 pm

The sampler channel dimension always has the same number of dimension parts as the number of channels in the sample file. For a stereo sample file there is a sampler channel dimension with two parts, and for a mono sample file there is no sampler channel dimension.

I have seen gig files that use two mono sample files, one for each channel, but they were using the layer dimension for this, not the sample channel dimension. That is however a rather inefficient way for linuxsampler, it is much better to convert the two mono files to a stereo file before importing it into a gig file.

Mike

Re: Stereo Instruments

Post by Mike » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks Andreas. I think its a bit of a shame that gigedit can't be used to specify the left and right channel samples manually using the sample channel dimension (like the way samples can be individually assigned to layers etc.) but its not a major setback.

An afternoon spent learning shell and writing a short script to merge all the samples in one hit == problem solved! :D