Q: Velocity and dimensions

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
josander

Q: Velocity and dimensions

Post by josander » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:20 am

Hi,

I have one problem, maybe my brain is overloaded or something, but i can't figure out how to use dimensions. Here is what I try to do:

I have Natural Drum Kit (NDK) and try to make Gigafiles out of the kits. The thing is that on the Hit Hat, it's not only closed and open Hi-Hat, but it's 15 diffrent kinds of openess (from closed to long decay of open HiHat) with velocitys.

I don' t want to assign each of this have a diffrent note. I want to have everything on a F# key and use a modulation wheel to trigger the diffrent levels of openness (just like when a drummer will use a Hi-Hat pedal). I will still have a Open Hi-Hat on G# and pedal HiHat on A# as "usual", but that's another story.

This should be possible to do with dimensions, right? But how? I have problem to understand how to make this work

Thanks, Jostein

dahnielson

Re: Q: Veocity and dimensions

Post by dahnielson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Use the modulation wheel dimension.

Dimensions work like this: Normally only one sample is triggered at a time. The dimensions select what sample should be for a certain combinations of velocity, modwheel and other controller values (depending on what dimensions was added to the regions).
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

josander

Re: Q: Veocity and dimensions

Post by josander » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks for helping, it made me sure that I was on the right track. My mistake was that I made the Velocity dimention first and tried to make the modwheel last. Everything turned ok when I did the oposite.

Thanks! :-)
Ardour, Rosegarden, Linuxsampler, misc. DSSI & LADSPA and LV2 plugins, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Edirol PCR-800, 8GB RAM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+, Ubuntu Studio