How to use the virtual keyboard in fantasia?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
rann

How to use the virtual keyboard in fantasia?

Post by rann » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to linuxsampler and fantasia. I have succesfully compiled everything and I'm able to load the maestro_concert_grand_v2.gig file and connect things up to either alsa or jack.

However, I can't figure out why the virtual keyboard in fantasia does not produce sound; I also noticed that in a recent screenshot of fantasia 0.8cvsX the virtual keyboard had various colors signifying ranges and/or activeness, whereas my virtual keyboard stays gray-ish. I can click on a key and it will highlight green.

I suspect the virtual keyboard is an actual midi device and should be connected, but how and what channel/port would it be at?

Help! I am so close ;-)

Kind regards.

PS: I'm runing: gigedit-0.1.1, JSampler-0.8a-cvs5, libgig-3.2.1, linuxsampler-0.5.1

dahnielson

Re: How to use the virtual keyboard in fantasia?

Post by dahnielson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:06 pm

You need to use the CVS version of LinuxSampler. The backend functionality for the virtual keyboard is brand new and 0.5.1 is pretty old by now. The virtual keyboard communicates with LinuxSampler over LSCP.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

rann

Post by rann » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Ah thanks, that's a handy tip. I will rebuild using cvs versions of libgig, linuxsampler, jlscp and jsampler. I'll post an update so people know how it went.

rann

Post by rann » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:17 pm

Yes! works like a charm. I did a checkout of the following modules:

Code: Select all

# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co libgig
# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co linuxsampler
# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co gigedit
# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co jlscp
# cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co jsampler
I then did the auto-tools dance within every subdir (for stuff that did not get copied or setup correctly I simply copied the relevant scripts from the stable version's tar.gz):

# aclocal
# autoheader
# autoconf
# automake --add-missing
I then continued to ./configure; make; make install everything, in my case under /opt/linuxsampler. After succesfully building and installing the softwares, I made a little script to start fantasia with linuxsampler and a default.lscp script pre-loaded:

fantasia.sh:

#!/bin/sh
export PATH=/opt/linuxsampler/bin:$PATH
/opt/linuxsampler/bin/linuxsampler &
sleep 2
cat /opt/linuxsampler/bin/default.lscp | socat - TCP4:localhost:8888
java -jar /opt/linuxsampler/lib/java/Fantasia-0.8a.jar
pkill linuxsampler
default.lscp:

SET ECHO 1
CREATE AUDIO_OUTPUT_DEVICE JACK
SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER 0 0 JACK_BINDINGS='alsa_pcm:playback_1'
SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER 0 1 JACK_BINDINGS='alsa_pcm:playback_2'
CREATE MIDI_INPUT_DEVICE ALSA
#SET MIDI_INPUT_PORT_PARAMETER 0 0 ALSA_SEQ_BINDINGS='72:0'
ADD CHANNEL
LOAD ENGINE gig 0
SET CHANNEL AUDIO_OUTPUT_DEVICE 0 0
SET CHANNEL MIDI_INPUT_DEVICE 0 0
LOAD INSTRUMENT '/home/rubin/Music/LinuxSampler/maestro_concert_grand_v2.gig' 0 0
GET CHANNEL INFO 0
QUIT
When I want to fool around with linuxsampler, I simply start my jack setup with qjackctl, after that i fire up fantasia.sh and I can play music right away. Happiness!

Thanks for the pointers!

Rubin.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:33 pm

rann wrote: I then did the auto-tools dance within every subdir (for stuff that did not get copied or setup correctly I simply copied the relevant scripts from the stable version's tar.gz):

# aclocal
# autoheader
# autoconf
# automake --add-missing
Or you could've run:

make -f Makefile.cvs
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux