Qsampler crashes when opening a gig file

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
rolothomasee

Qsampler crashes when opening a gig file

Post by rolothomasee » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:17 am

Problem solved. Here is a record of my recent experience.

Installed 64studio 2.1 (that odyssey is a post in itself). Got jack working. Got Rosegarden working (finally) with a couple of differnt synths. Figured out how soundfonts work with these tools. Sounds produced were not all that convincing. Wanted something more realistic.

Read about gigastudio, gigedit, and linuxsampler. Saw lots of gig files posted. Decided to take the plunge and learn how to use real world samples.

First launch of Qsampler produced error (symbol table lookup error which I assume has to do with some sort of lib incompatability or wrong version) so linuxsampler wouldn't run. Used apt-get remove to delete linuxsampler, qsampler and offending libs.

Used "sudo apt-get install linuxsampler and qsampler" to reinstall and now qsampler and linuxsampler would start.

OK, now what do I do? How do I actually make a sound come out of the speaker?

Used "sudo apt-get intsall gigedit" to install gigedit. Downloaded the Grand Piano gig file. Tried to open it using gigedit. Gigedit crashed. Followed the instructions in the Gigedit Quickstart Guide to try and play with Qsampler. Everytime I tried to open a gig file, Qsampler crashed.

Search of forums found an instance of this problem that said it was fixed with upgrade to Lenny. Not going to upgrade for reasons discussed on 64studio forums (desire current stable build).

Removed gigedit, linuxsampler, and qsampler.

Located Debian How To (http://www.linuxsampler.org/debian.html) and followed instructions for download, compile and install of all libs and components from source (be sure to enable the plugins folder when you compile linuxsampler per the instructions).

Noticed that when I went to install libgig, the installed version (that installed when I originally used apt-get install gigedit) was newer than the version I just compiled. This may be what was causing the crashes. Replaced it with the one I just compiled (libgig-3.2.1-1_amd64 and libgig-dev-3.2.1-1_amd64).

Once these newly created libs and components were installed, launched jack, qsampler, and Rosegarden in that order. Created instrument and channel in Qsampler with no problem (remember to use Auto Output Type = Jack, not ALSA). Set up Rosegarden track (use Manage MIDI Devices dialog to ensure LinuxSampler is connected) and plugged in some notes. When played...no sound.

Checking jack connections showed linuxsampler channels were not connected to anything. Connected them to system playback. Now hitting play in Rosegarden plays the notes I put in.

Connected virtual keyboard to Rosegarden "record in" via Jack MIDI tab. Now when I hit keys the notes are sounded.

It has taken me about 4 days to sort through all of this. Lots of forum searches and trial and error. Gigedt Quickstart Guide is nice and Rosegarden handbook is fine for learning bout the swithes and knobs in Rosegarden, but a simple straight forward tutorial that quickly guides user to producing a sound using these tools in combination (without trying to explain every detail) would have been very helpful. Maybe there is one, but I couldn't find it.

Now that things seem to be working, its on to learning how to actully use these tools to make music.

Hope this helps the next guy.

Athlon64 X2 3800
2Gb RAM
1GB HD
ASUS M2N4-SLI Mobo (integrated sound card)
Nvidia 9800 GS graphics card
64studio (debian)
NFS connection to 4TB storage server via Gb ethernet
Mackie HR624 studio speakers