Any tips for building a dedicated machine - distro, etc

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
timstoel

Any tips for building a dedicated machine - distro, etc

Post by timstoel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm

I just started using LinuxSampler in my studio, and I want to build a dedicated machine to run the software. If this works well, I would be buying a new machine for this project, but for now I have a 3.8 Ghz Pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM available, and I would be using a MOTU Traveler or 824 firewire interface. What would be my best option for a Linux distro for this? I would not be using the box for anything besides LinuxSampler. I am considering JackLab, is this a good option?

Would I even need to install a GUI? Ideally, I would set the system up to turn on and immediately start the LinuxSampler backend. I would use SMB file sharing to place samples onto this machine from my Windows/Mac machines over the network, hopefully eliminating any need for a monitor/keyboard/mouse, and simply log in with SSH for any other work that needs to be done.

Thanks!
Tim

dahnielson

Re: Any tips for building a dedicated machine - distro, etc

Post by dahnielson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:52 pm

Yes, a specialized audio distribution is a good choice so save some work. (Even if pretty much any distribution will do if you spend some time configure it and build an rt-kernel)

No, you don't need any GUI. So the X server and KDE/GNOME or any desktop environment is required.

Do the MOTU Traveler have ALSA support? (I'm asking because few do as MOTU isn't a very Linux-friendly company.)
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

sbenno
Developer

Re: Any tips for building a dedicated machine - distro, etc

Post by sbenno » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:07 pm

personally I'd opt for ubuntu server, minimum install, and then just add the packages you need to compile linuxsampler, real time kernel etc.
then you can access linuxsampler from any box running java using jsampler (a windows or linux box).
This has the advantage that you can use all the available memory on the sampler box for sampling and get maximum performance without the CPU getting hit by GUI stuff.
About audio cards ... make sure you search the internet, check the ALSA site that your card is well supported by linux, supports low latency and there is an open source driver,
otherwise you are asking for troubles.
good luck with your studio, and in case you make some songs using LinuxSampler let us know (and hear) :)