Tuning SFZ disk streaming

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
QuartetGuy

Tuning SFZ disk streaming

Post by QuartetGuy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:12 am

Debian, Rosegarden to LinuxSampler using Jack for both MIDI and audio connections. 16 GB RAM. I am working on a chamber piece consisting of a string quartet plus a flute, oboe, and piano, all SFZ samples. When all the parts are going I get dropouts. The maximum voices I have seen in use through qsampler console window is 63, so I have increased the VOICES parameter to 120. The STREAM parameter is 400. But I still get the dropouts. There are 4 CPU cores but nothing is being used over 10%.

If I play one part at time, everything is fine. If I bounce the audio one at a time into additional Rosegarden tracks, all of those playback with no problem. It is just the use of the SFZ engine with all the parts at once where I have a problem. To me this suggests a buffering problem reading the samples. All of the SFZ files are on their own 1 TB SSD, connected directly to a SCSI bus.

Are there any tuning settings for how the sample reading is done? I know I am not the first person to run into this sort of problem.