Best way to move my library across

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
jamesd256

Best way to move my library across

Post by jamesd256 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:20 pm

Hi,

I have a library of Akai, Gig and SF2 sample banks, and I would like to find the best way to get everything set up within LS.

I am able to us LS with patches from my library, say from a .gig file, by loading the instrument file and specifying the instrument index, and everything is fine.

What I would like to do is have the ability to take a .gig file and have it in the LS database so that I can use program change midi to select the instrument patches from within it.

I am able to create orchestras, instruments and midi maps manually that would let me do this, but it seems as if I have to do this manually. I don't mind this, but I was hoping since the .gig file's instruments are already indexed within the .gig, it would be possible to import the .gig's patches into the LS / Fantasia database. Ideally this would be able to respond to midi program change without any further config. Instead I have to go through every patch and create a midi map entry for it.

Since I have a large library with thousands of instrument patches, I'm keen to avoid this line by line manual method if at all possible. If the interface does not support this more streamlined import of gig instruments, I would probably look to script this myself, as I have lots of experience with this type of thing.

If anyone could share how they create and manage large libraries within the LS system, I'd be grateful for any pointers to get me going. Or if you have some suggestions for where to start looking to script things that would also be great. Anything i do develop would be offered back to the community.

Cheers!

jamesd256

Re: Best way to move my library across

Post by jamesd256 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:25 pm

I figured a bit more out, by discovering the Jsampler docs.

I can now see how to add my library to the instrument database in fairly efficient style. I can see how to add patches to a midi instrument map and then set that map for the LS channel. I assume that's not enough to get the channel to load a different instrument when receiving program change.

This is because I am able to confirm LS is receiving control change from my DAW, because volume and pan work. However when I send program change via the same route, nothing changes in LS.

I've tried adding the instrument from the orchestra, having added all the same instruments to the orchestra that I added to the midi instrument map.

Seems like I'm just missing the last piece, and that there is a pretty powerful set of tools for importing and organising my samples - great!

Could anyone help by explaining how you get LS to respond to program change to switch instruments on a channel? Or maybe point to where there are docs surrounding this?

Cheers!

EDIT: LS was responding to program change, just that my DAW was defaulting to a bank number that was non-zero. So everything looks good.

Something I have to figure out is that my DAW (Reaper) is at some point receiving the bank/program data that exists in the midi instrument map in LS. This is handy as when inserting program change midi data, the options drop down is populated with all the LS instrument names. The only thing is, if I load a different instrument on the channel, and set a new midi instrument map, this information is not updated in Reaper. Not related to the issue I posted about, just a point of interest if anyone reading this finds it useful. I will put another update on if i figure out how that works.