.gig files and how to use them

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Gemberkoekje

.gig files and how to use them

Post by Gemberkoekje » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm a developer / tech guy with limited knowledge on music. A friend of mine, who is not techy at all but more into music creation, told me they have old '.gig' files they'd want to use and - well - make music with.

So my problem is a bit of a double whammy: I'm trying to understand software for a field I'm not entirely knowledgable about, and I need to explain it to someone who doesn't really understand computers the way I do.

So the basic thing I'm trying to do is just to get sound out of a Windows machine. Let's start with -any- sound and go from there.

So here's what I did up till now:
- I installed linuxsampler via https://download.linuxsampler.org/packa ... _setup.exe
- I started QSampler and downloaded a random .gig file, just to be able to test.
- I realized there were no audio devices, so I searched and found https://www.asio4all.org/ which at least seemed to give me something to work with.

However, I do not know where to go from here. I don't have any MIDI devices (My friend probably does, but I want to give them a complete package so at least I pretend to know what I'm doing) and I'm not sure how to use either QSampler or GIGEdit.

So, erm, basically: Can someone explain the basics to me, so I can explain the confusing bits to my friend?

Thanks in advance,

Gemberkoekje.

cuse
Developer

Re: .gig files and how to use them

Post by cuse » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:27 pm

For a quick test, you can just click on the "Edit" button in QSampler which will cause the instrument editor "Gigedit" to pop up on screen. Use its virtual piano keyboard to trigger notes by clicking on the virtual keyboard's keys. You can also switch to different sounds of that gig file quickly by simply clicking on another instrument in the "Instruments" list of Gigedit.