Failed to launch backend

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
peastman

Failed to launch backend

Post by peastman » Mon May 25, 2020 7:50 pm

I've installed LinuxSampler on Mac OS 10.14.6. When I launch Fantasia an error window appears with the message, "Failed to launch backend".

If I launch qsampler it gives a different but probably related error message: "Could not connect to server as client. Sorry."

cuse
Developer

Re: Failed to launch backend

Post by cuse » Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 am

Yeah, both errors have the same cause: Go to the settings dialog of Fantasia / QSampler and then fill in the path to the linuxsampler binary (a.k.a. the "backend") which should be "/usr/local/bin/linuxsampler" if you used the Mac installer. Then restart Fantasia / QSampler and it should be able to launch linuxsampler automatically.

peastman

Post by peastman » Tue May 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks! That mostly fixes it for Fantasia. Now when I launch it I get the error message, "Connecting to LinuxSampler: Can't establish connection". But I also see a linuxsampler process appear in Activity Monitor. If I dismiss the error message, wait about ten seconds, and then click the Connect button it works.

qsampler still fails with the same error message, but I can use Fantasia instead.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Thu May 28, 2020 1:25 pm

For QSampler: Make sure checkbox "Start server locally" is checked:

Preferences -> Server -> Start Server locally