Utilizing My Resources

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
ccherrett
Advanced User

Utilizing My Resources

Post by ccherrett » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:02 am

NOTE: Could someone increase the auto logout time on creating posts so you have time to write the post before it logs you out and you loose all your work? :(

Hi Guys!

I am trying to figure out the best way to setup my studio to utilize all the resouces I have available to me. I have just purchased the old VSL Pro Edition Complete as well as upgraded to 8GB of RAM. So this is what I am working with:
  • - 300 GB of samples: VSL Pro Complete, Sams True Strike 1 and 2, GigaPiano.......
    - 8 GB RAM
    - AMD 64x2 4800
    - 64 bit Gentoo
    - SATA 2 500GB Drive for samples
    - Gigabit Network
    - Quad core 8GB RAM machine on network if needed
I was thinking that I would use "On Demand (and Hold)" to load all my samples in one large midimap and lscp session. Is this possible. I have found that loading a large lscp into linuxsampler is problematic. Fantasia simple takes about half an hour to load if you need to make any tweeks to the session. I have been using netcat to load the session and that seems fine but tweeking the session is tough due to the issues with Fantasia and qsampler does not load the session at all. Any advice here would be much appreciated!

So is it possible to load every instrument you have into one lscp session? I would be trying to have every instrument accessible to me in rosegarden in the end. I know how to do all the mapping but am looking for any tips on making the whole thing work considering some of the limitations in loading Fantasia.

Thanks!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

dahnielson

Re: Utilizing My Resources

Post by dahnielson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:56 am

I just noticed this in the changelog. Don't know if it solves anything (and it's not yet in the precompiled Fantasia anyway):
2008-08-12 iliev
* Reimplemented the MIDI bank/program assignment algorithm
What kind of tweaks specifically do we talk about?

The only time the instrument map complexity becomes an issue in Fantasia is when you load a map or when you add a new instrument to the map. When making tweaks to the map itself, for large maps, it's better to do that using a text editor and netcat and avoid Fantasia all together.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:05 am

I was thinking that I would use "On Demand (and Hold)" to load all my samples in one large midimap and lscp session. Is this possible. I have found that loading a large lscp into linuxsampler is problematic. Fantasia simple takes about half an hour to load if you need to make any tweeks to the session. I have been using netcat to load the session and that seems fine but tweeking the session is tough due to the issues with Fantasia and qsampler does not load the session at all. Any advice here would be much appreciated!
Please elaborate a little. How much instruments you are trying to map? I made a test and loaded a script with 300 midi instruments and it loads in jsampler for about 6 seconds. What do you mean jsampler does not load the session at all? jsampler freeze or crash or just don't show the midi instruments? Are there any errors shown in the console where jsampler is started? Are there any errors in the log file - <jsampler-home>/jsampler.log? Note that the log file is truncated on every jsampler startup. Are there a specific actions for which jsampler takes too many time to exec?
Just to be sure, you are using the latest cvs version or jsamler, right?

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:06 am

OK I just had to hear you say that :)

vim it is! :)

Thanks!

Any suggestions on what to use:

On Demand vs On Demand Hold?
Christopher Cherrett

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:10 am

grishata wrote: Please elaborate a little. How much instruments you are trying to map? I made a test and loaded a script with 300 midi instruments and it loads in jsampler for about 6 seconds. What do you mean jsampler does not load the session at all? jsampler freeze or crash or just don't show the midi instruments? Are there any errors shown in the console where jsampler is started? Are there any errors in the log file - <jsampler-home>/jsampler.log? Note that the log file is truncated on every jsampler startup. Are there a specific actions for which jsampler takes too many time to exec?
Just to be sure, you are using the latest cvs version or jsamler, right?
We posted at the same time so I did not see you message.

I had said qsampler does not load the session at all it just errors out, however I do not know what the errors were because I was just playing with it.

I will run some tests right now and get back about the latest cvs.

Thanks
Christopher Cherrett

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 am

I just tried loading my instrument map containing 800 instruments (I have barely used it after putting in the effort to create it :D ) with Fantasia-0.8a-cvs3. It isn't quick, but it is just a matter of minutes and hell a lot quicker than before.

So what version are you using ccherrett?
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:49 am

I just tried loading my instrument map containing 800 instruments (I have barely used it after putting in the effort to create it ) with Fantasia-0.8a-cvs3. It isn't quick, but it is just a matter of minutes and hell a lot quicker than before.
Do you have midi instruments with PERSISTENT load mode in your map? I guess I'll have to create a test map with 1000 instruments :)

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:57 am

Nope, that was just all "On Demand".
Anders Dahnielson

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:06 am

Nope, that was just all "On Demand".
Not good, I should investigate this. How much banks do you have in your map?

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:13 am

35 banks if I counted correctly.
Anders Dahnielson