Audio output connection

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
toddyd

Audio output connection

Post by toddyd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:22 pm

I have earlier been using jack with rosegarden, audio and midi and my system is setup.

I am now a bit confused how to get the linux sampler up and running with midi.

1. I start jack and qsampler
2. I create a midi output inside qsampler. It seems to work since I can see the midioutput from the alsa tab in jack.
3. Here comes the problem. I try to create an audio ouput inside the qsampler but it fails with error: Device or resource busy. This recource (hw:0,0) which is my soundcard is busy and the program using it is actually Jack.
If I close Jack and then retry, Qsampler doesn't complain. But I need Jack=)

Ok, my problem is basically how to set up the audio output connection between jack and the qsampler.

thanks

dahnielson

Re: Audio output connection

Post by dahnielson » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:38 pm

What kind of audio device do you try to create in QSampler? You should create a JACK device and not an ALSA device.

(Also, you should probably consider using JSampler/Fantasia instead of QSampler to gain access to all of the LinuxSampler features. IMO.)
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

toddyd

Post by toddyd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:45 am

As long as Jack is running I cant create any audio device. If I stop Jack I can create an audio device but then the there is no such option as Jack device only alsa.
Perhaps have I missed out on something fundamental in the creation of the audio device.

1. I go to devices in qsampler
2. right click on audio devices/create device.
If Jack is running i get error :New Audio device lscp_create_audio_device: Error opening PCM device hw (errno=100)
3. If i close jack I can only create an alsa audio device and then I cant start jack cause the soundcard is blocked

How do I create a jack device. Cant see this option?

thanks

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:03 am

I have no idea about QSampler. But here's what it looks like in Fantasia:

BTW, are you sure your installation of LinuxSampler was built with JACK support? What does it say on start up?

This is what I get:

Code: Select all

LinuxSampler 0.5.1.7cvs
Copyright (C) 2003,2004 by Benno Senoner and Christian Schoenebeck
Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Christian Schoenebeck
Detected features: disabled at compile time
Creating Sampler...OK
Registered sampler engines: 'GIG'
Registered MIDI input drivers: ALSA,JACK
Registered audio output drivers: ALSA,JACK
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

toddyd

Post by toddyd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:28 pm

Nop I guess I have not build it with Jack support. Only alsa. How do I build to make it include Jack support?
Do I first have to unistall it or can I simply build a new one with jack support and then install?

thanks alot

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:01 pm

Yes, uninstall what you've got now (linuxsampler, libgig, liblscp) and check out the latest version from CVS:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co libgig
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co liblscp
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co linuxsampler
Then build and install libgig, liblscp and linuxsampler. The process is the same for each package, e.g.:

cd libgig
make Makefile.cvs
./configure
make
su -c "make install"
(Assuming that you have autotools and gcc installed. I'm using Gentoo so I tend to take that for granted. :D )
Anders Dahnielson

toddyd

Post by toddyd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:02 pm

Ok, super, I will do that but first a stupid question. I run Ubuntu and normally I uninstall packages with command apt-get remove. Since this is the first time I have actually build a program from source I am not sure how to uninstall it :oops:

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:08 pm

toddyd wrote:Ok, super, I will do that but first a stupid question. I run Ubuntu and normally I uninstall packages with command apt-get remove. Since this is the first time I have actually build a program from source I am not sure how to uninstall it :oops:
toddyd,

Cd to the directory you installed from.

If you used ./configure, make, sudo make install to install, then type in the terminal:

sudo make uninstall

It should remove the required files.

If you're building in Ubuntu, then it may be easier for you to install as Deb files, and there is a good howto, written by the chief Wizard of LSampler, Christian, which walks you through a Deb install process.

http://www.linuxsampler.org/debian.html

Take your time and follow the steps carefully, and you'll be fine. Best part about installing like this is, you can remove the apps and libs using synaptic, as they will appear in your package manager.

Alex.

toddyd

Post by toddyd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:31 pm

Unistalling went just fine =)

I have now downloaded everything form the cvs server.

Building and installing libgig from source went fine but when trying to make the linux sampler I get errors.

../src/.libs/liblinuxsampler.so: undefined reference to `yyparse(void*)'
../src/.libs/liblinuxsampler.so: undefined reference to `restart(yyparse_param_t*, int&)'

First I thought it had to do with the yacc but I have tried with both byacc and bison from the ubuntu reps but same error message id displayed =(

same error when trying to build a deb package.