Linuxsampler (windows) doesn't load TBO

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
wistily

Linuxsampler (windows) doesn't load TBO

Post by wistily » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm

Hello
I have been a successfull ls user on both Linux and lately Windows, using it to play my favorites sampletekk libs. But today, as i received my newly acquired TBO, i got into a problem: linuxsampler (windows version) doesn't load it.
The first time i tried, the loading got stuck at 99% and then nothing happened, the cpu was at 50% (max on a dual core), and the hard drive was not read anymore.
After that, i tried again and then ls crashed toward the end of the loading.
I have no linux box anymore so i can't try to see if it's windows related.
I'm on Vista32 with plenty of ram.

sbenno
Developer

Re: Linuxsampler (windows) doesn't load TBO

Post by sbenno » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:04 am

It is strange that LS on Windows is not able to load your files as the code (except the system related disk I/O routines, alias read() from file etc) is the same on all platforms.
I developed and tested the Windows version on XP. I briefly tested LS on a Vista32 box (an Acer laptop) and performance was quite bad, lots of dropouts (using asio4all) but this could be due
to the crappy soundcard and asio4all not being able to provide low latency on that sound card.
Keep in mind that the Windows binary of LS is already 8 months old. In the meantime some bugs were fixed in the LS codebase and perhaps new windows build would help to improve stabilty and eliminate
the problems you are experiencing. Hard to say without trying it. You can try to compile LS for Windows on your own but as already mentioned in other occasions it's a bit complex.
The goal is to release an updated Windows version with standalone and VST support this year, in order to make it usable in professional environments.

wistily

Post by wistily » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:22 am

TBO is a 24 bits library, so i have tried to convert the samples to 16bits, and now it works.
So it seems this is probably a size problem.
I have checked the memory usage during loading of the 24 bits version, it's big, but it doesn't use all available memory.

On the performance way, i have no problem at all, i use it with an integrated audio chipset and asio4all and it works great.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi wistily,
you should contact Andreas Persson via EMail ( look here for his email address: http://www.linuxsampler.org/developers.html )
and report him the problem as he is the one who wrote the 24bit code. He also owns a few large Sampletekk samples and according to him
the work fine both on Linux and Windows.
I hope you get the problem solved.
I think the VST version will give a nice boost to LS usability and stability under various hw setups on Windows.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:48 pm

wistily how much RAM do you have installed on your box ?

wistily

Post by wistily » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:40 pm

I have 4 GB (but since it's Vista 32 bits, it use only 3.5).
But i was watching memory usage during the failed load, and there was still something like 800 MB available).

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:13 am

Hello,

Does it work if you load any of the smaller versions? I have 1G of ram, and I can load TBO if I choose an instrument of type "No PD No Rel", "No PD", "No Rel" or any of the "Economy" versions. This is under Linux however, I haven't tried it under Windows yet. I also use a smaller value for the --enable-stream-size configure parameter (half of the default value). When I load the second instrument (no pedal and no release) in TBO.gig, my LS process is using 511M. If I choose the third (no pedal) it's 754M.

If you start LS in a command window, what number is written on this line?

AudioOutputDeviceAsio::ParameterFragmentSize::DefaultAsInt returning

The amount of memory needed is somewhat depending on that number. On Linux, when using Jack, the number equals the Jack buffer size, but I'm not sure if it equals ASIO buffer size on Windows.

/Andreas

halvor

Post by halvor » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Yes, the same happened to me some time ago in Win XP home. If I remember correctly I had some problems
with a few other libraries from Sampletekk as well, I suspect the size of the libraries were too big for the windows-version
for some reason because all "smaller" libraries (size up to 2-3 GB) loaded just fine.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Now I have tried it on Windows. This is another machine, which has 2G ram and Windows XP. I used the default configure settings for LS. And: it works. I can load TBO, even the first, full, instrument. 24 bit.

The linuxsampler.exe process uses 1079548 kB.

wistily

Post by wistily » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:21 pm

I did some test tonight (again, on Win Vista):
- TBO 24 bits "no rel, no pd" -> OK 779 160K (the fragmentsize has no effect on the process size, i tried 512 and 192, and it gave me the same usage).
- During the loading of the FULL TBO 24bits, the process take something like 1 600 000K before crashing.
- i tried to create an exception for the nx bit for LS without sucess
- i tried running LS as an admin without sucess