Distorted output with all samples

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
kaimerra

Re: Distorted output with all samples

Post by kaimerra » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:29 pm

So I loaded the Maestro instrument from the website and it plays clear and beautiful sounds. I have tried turning down levels at every level(alsa, sample, instrument, qsampler channel, qsampler master) and my samples are still distorted. I am using standard WAV files. Most are from a Windows machine if that makes a difference. I tried that "MS Decode" option in GIGedit but it didn't help. I don't know what that does really.
This is really starting to get frustrating, and I may just end up going back to Specimen if I can't get this figured out and be saddened by its lack of features.
Would someone be willing to try one of my waves and see how it sounds? I am at a loss for what else to try.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:38 am

M/S decode is an option you use when the samples are M/S encoded (mid/side stereo).

It sounds like that the GIG files you made yourself have been corrupted somehow. Only, only, and I stress this, only create new instruments and add samples when Gigedit run as a stand alone application. And always use "Save" when editing an existing GIG file in Gigedit or "Save as..." if you're saving to a new GIG file. Never ever, ever, ever, use "Save as..." to overwrite the existing GIG file you're editing.

If the samples have become corrupted you can try to use the "Replace All Samples In All Groups" action in Gigedit (you find it in the context menu if you right-click on a sample group).

Oh, and use the latest CVS version of Gigedit. A lot of stuff have been fixed since the last release.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:59 pm

BTW, I just want to point out that I have made all the mistakes above myself. ;-)
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

groundpoint

Post by groundpoint » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:28 am

Same issue here... some notes almost undistorted, most distorted... Anyone find a solution?

kaimerra

Post by kaimerra » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:03 am

Someone suggested I compile the lastest CVS version of libgig and all that, so I think I am going to try that next. As well as confirm all my levels are very low. Not sure when I will get around to it, but I will post my results when I do.

Happy new year!
Brian

groundpoint

Post by groundpoint » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Much appreciated, kaimerra!

I didn't have these issues with a stock AC97 board in CentOS 4.3 or 5.2, and when I switched to a board with AC97HD, CentOS 5.2's kernel didn't support the hard disk in UDMA mode, though the audio sounded fine... I tried Fedora 9, which supports the native hard disk controller, but audio problems started up. I thought it might have something to do with pulseaudio, so I installed Fedora 10 when it came out and chose not to install any pulseaudio components, same issue. I also tried CentOS 5.2 again and tried patching the kernel for the hard drive controller, but it was beyond me. Today I'll try with Debian 4.0r6. I'm preferring to use ALSA, and I would rather not install graphical mode linux, though perhaps jack can be used in CLI mode? I'm not deep enough into these aspects of Linux to know, though I'm definitely learning... Good luck to you and if I have any progress, I'll give an update! I'm sure it's something simple, but I lack the ability to troubleshoot anything that's not completely superficial. By the way, I tried with the newest CVS libgig and linuxsampler last night to no avail. The audio glitch sounds odd, doesn't it? It's almost as if a 24bit file is being interpreted as 16 -- just a bit of fun conjecture there.

groundpoint

Post by groundpoint » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:10 am

Well, installed Debian 40r6, the audio worked fine, but same slow drive problems, no controller support. Then tried Ubuntu 8_10 desktop, supported all devices, but audio problem again with install of .deb binaries. Next try will be Ubuntu Studio, and then will be done with Linuxsampler for a while. System audio is fine, but only linuxsampler audio is odd. Maybe this is a sndfile or audiofile problem. Really have no idea.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Are you sure the gig files isn't corrupted as I described above?
Anders Dahnielson

groundpoint

Post by groundpoint » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi dahnielson -- thanks for your hint -- I was hoping the files were corrupted -- would have been any easy fix, but ruled that out through experimentation.. also tried .gig files with 16bit samples vs. 24bit, tried files from the editor which comes with GigaStudio3, and then tried those files on another system which doesn't have this problem and they work fine... just not on this modern-kernel machine. The motherboard is too new to be fully supported within the kernel versions that seem to be working for me. Next step after a little break could be for me to try to use an older kernel and update just the IDE controller drivers, which I'll have to learn about. I want to experiment with tapeutape (http://www.tardigrade-inc.com/index.php/En/Tapeutape) as well, to see how it performs and see if I notice the same audio glitch.

Thanks,

Ben

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Sounds weird indeed. ;)
Anders Dahnielson