GSP files: Loading the Black Grand DEMOS

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
philassheton

GSP files: Loading the Black Grand DEMOS

Post by philassheton » Wed May 21, 2008 10:39 pm

On a similar subject to another thread, I've downloaded the Black Grand Demo files, and have been trying to load them into linuxsampler. While the individual .gig files load up fine, it seems to be made up of a number gig files that are stitched together according to a .gsp file... Is it possible to import the info in this file into linuxsampler or even just to see which combinations of gigs it is using? I tried looking at the gsp in a text editor but there wasn't enough useful information to put it all together to sound right... Any help would be hugely appreciated!

(One other question: if I choose to buy black grand, should I buy it in gigasampler 2 format or gigastudio 3 format?) Thanks!

dahnielson

Re: GSP files: Loading the Black Grand DEMOS

Post by dahnielson » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 am

AFAIK, GS3 version contain 24 bit samples while the GS2 version contain 16 bit samples. Note that the direct download version of Black Grand is a multi-format library that require some assembling. Unfortunately Gigedit can't save into multiple .gx* files, so the library can not currently be assembled by Gigedit. However, Andreas have written two small utilities that can be used to assemble the Closed and Medium Ambient perspectives (but not the Ambiance). But if you want to be 100% sure buy the DVD version with the library already assembled.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

philassheton

Post by philassheton » Fri May 23, 2008 3:30 am

That's brilliant -- thanks for such a fast reply! Maybe I'll just buy the real thing then and sack the demo off -- unless anybody has any ideas what I can do with these gsp files?

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 pm

I ordered the Black Grand Ambient on DVD, due to the current Group Buy - 50% off, and encountered the same problem

The sample consists of three gig files containing the sample layers in three groups, high, medium and low velocity.
There are then ten gsp files which contain ten setups to load, generally by redirecting higher or lower velocities
to use other velocities, and achieve a more mellow or a sharper timbre.

Linuxsampler can't load these gsp files. However,I loaded the low and medium velicity gig files at the same
time and made them both use channel 1. If you load only one, you get missing velocities, and you get
silence for the velocities with no corresponding layer. (Hope all this makes sense)

With low and medium loaded on the same midi channel, it works, and it sounds *Fabulous*. I'm not sure why
I don't need the high velocity gig file in there. I tried hitting the keys quite hard, and it still played. Perhaps
I need to look at the velocity setup for my keyboard (Roland FP-4 in local-off mode)

I also got PMI Historic Keyboards and PMI Bosendorfer 290.

MikeD