Some clarifications about instruments needed

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
vlada

Some clarifications about instruments needed

Post by vlada » Sat May 03, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm trying to get some answers while also trying to find the best way for obtaining some help of community and developers of this beautiful software. Thanks for the code and answers (in advance). Re-posting the mail content here because this might be a better place for people to give me some hints quickly.

Quoting myself:
Hello,

I'm not new to linux and audio (nor to linux-audio, which is totally different category, for that matter). Trying to leave soundfont2 technology behind and moving to giga samples...

Need some help on this subject.

The Grand piano giga sound font is downloaded following the link from this side. My question is about instruments listed in qsampler when specifying font's location. Instruments listed are: Maestro Concert Grand, MCG Sustain + Releases, Maestro Conc. Grand B, etc. What are those? It's obvious (is it?) that I should point drop down at The first listed.

More complicated it becomes when using other fonts found on net. I have "borrowed" some fonts in order to try your software and that fonts (willing to buy some if it works). I've attached gigdump output. When I select "COMBINATIONS a1" something is being loaded (I can see that by looking at progress running up from 0% to 100%), but I hear no sound. What I don't understand correctly here?

That would be all for now. :) Thanks for the beautiful software and further explanations. :)

Regards,
Vlada

dahnielson

Re: Some clarifications about instruments needed

Post by dahnielson » Sat May 03, 2008 3:55 pm

1. Maestro Concert Grand is the sampled grand with eight velocity layers.
  2. MCG Sustains + Releases is the same as the first but with release samples. Load this instrument and hit middle C as hard as possible, hold down the key and wait for the note to decay, then release it and you will hear a clear example of what the release sample sounds like (it's the hammer action that is sampled separately).
  3. Maestro Conc. Grand B is the same as the first instrument but with fewer velocity layers.
  4. MCG B Sus + Release is the same as the third instrument but with release samples.
  5. Effects contain a few sound effects like pedal sound mapped to C0-F0.
  6. mcg_key_release contain only the release samples as releases (i.e. triggered when you release the key).
  7. mcg_key_release only contain the release samples as regular samples (i.e. triggered when you hit the key).
The exact naming of instruments in other libraries is library dependent, you'll have to consult the documentation for the particular library. However, note that many libraries use empty instruments as labels to partition the instrument list. Your "COMBINATIONS" instrument is probably just an empty instrument.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

vlada

Post by vlada » Sat May 03, 2008 4:40 pm

oh... thanks.

What you suggest then? How can I load some "combination" which can consist of many instruments then? It can be a bit tedious job setting whole symphony orchestra that way... :( Even bigger problem is articulation of some instrument (staccato flute, legato flute, etc.).

OT question: Is #linuxsampler IRC channel dead?

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat May 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Combinations is usually keyswitched instruments, making it possibly by accessing different articulations or variations using key switches. Sometimes an instrument may default to silence and you need to select a keyswitch before it makes any sound. Exactly how each instrument is supposed to be used is library dependent and is usually documented in the manual for the particular library.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

vlada

Post by vlada » Sat May 03, 2008 7:33 pm

Got it. I was googling a bit and found info about key switching. Not that hard when you know what to look for. Still the problem persists. Is linux sampler capable of dealing with such giga samples? I'm holding down key in C0 octave, but no sound is being produced.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat May 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Open the GIG in Gigedit and take a look at the "Instrument Properties" dialog for the specific instrument, you will find the keyswitching range for the instrument there.
Anders Dahnielson

vlada

Post by vlada » Mon May 05, 2008 7:12 pm

No luck at all. :(
Properties says that keyswitching range is between E1-B1 but nothing happens when I have those pressed and playing in upper octaves. Is there something else I could try? On what should I pay attention?

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Hey vlada,

It sounds like you are using VSL samples. They come with great documentation that will describe how to remedy the issues you are having.

Just read the docs that came with your samples when you bought them.

Have fun!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

vlada

Post by vlada » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:19 pm

RTFM :)
I've always hated it, but the more I want to avoid it, the more I need it... :)

Speaking of manuals, where can I see some example of efficient mapping VSL to MIDI in linuxsampler? A manual? Anything? Looks like we're short of manuals for LS. And, IRC room is empty most of the time which is really a shame. I love IRCs. :(
I might want to experiment a bit, but I need to know if anybody has done it (mapping whole symphony orchestra), yet.

Any special hints before I start (although I have no idea what am I doing, except some rough concept of how it works)?

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:49 pm

http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.ph ... 830b4eda7d

If you start reading there you will get some good information.
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org