Need help installing LS & friends in UbuntuStudio Gutsy.

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
dfro

Re: Need help installing LS & friends in UbuntuStudio Gutsy.

Post by dfro » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:02 pm

cuse,

Please, help me get clearer on what you just wrote. If I enter this command:

$ apt-get remove qsampler --force

... Then I will get qsampler removed, while keeping ubuntustudio-audio? Then, if I later update ubuntustudio-audio, all the packages I removed will be reinstalled, correct?

I tried to just compile/install all the packages from cvs without removing the old versions from the UbuntuStudio distro. After a lot of trial and error, I was able to get libgig, liblscp, linuxsampler, gigedit, and jsampler installed and working. I was unable to compile a new version of qsample. I got a lot of errors during the 'make' process.

The good news is, if I launch the UbuntuStudio ditro version of qsampler, it launches and finds linuxsampler and gigedit. It also loads the .gig files. Gigedit also launches by itself. Great! Thank you guys for getting me this far!

However, I am having some midi routing problems in jack. When I use qsampler or jsampler, Linuxsampler is showing up in the "jack > connections > audio" window, but there is no presence of linuxsampler in the "jack > connections > midi" window. So I have no way to trigger any sounds and see if it is all working. Also, there is no edit button in the UbuntuStudio qsampler GUI, and I can't find a way to edit in the jsampler fantasia GUI yet.

So, I think the last step is to get the midi_device created by jsampler (or qsampler) to show up in jack. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
dfro

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:11 pm

BTW, FYI, I would recommend you used Fantasia (JSampler) in place of QSampler since it's more complete featurewise and only require a functional Java-environment. It's easy to run, no installation needed, just download the .jar and run it.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dfro

Post by dfro » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:21 pm

dahneilson,

I got jsampler-fantasia working and added it to my Applications launch menu. I am sure I will use jsampler over qsampler. I also just found the edit button which shows up if you hover the mouse arrow over the sample name window.

dfro

dfro

Post by dfro » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:17 am

YES!!

I have sound! I read Dave Phillips article on LinuxSampler - http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/lin ... er-project - where he wrote that he used the ALSA driver for midi and the JACK driver for audio. I was using JACK for both. When I changed the midi driver setting in jsampler to ALSA, LinuxSampler showed up in the midi connections window of Jack. I do not understand at all why this worked, but I am now hearing sounds. Is there a simple explanation of this?

I am especially exited to try recording and performing with the Maestro Concert Grand gig.

Thanks!,
dfro

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:25 am

Do you have JACK MIDI enabled in the JACK server? If not, only ALSA MIDI will show up in QJackCtl under the "ALSA" tab. The JACK MIDI devices will show up under the "MIDI" tab.

N.B.: I have not tried using JACK MIDI and LS together, so there might be something up with the LS JACK MIDI support. Alex!?
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dfro

Post by dfro » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Alex,

Do you know if there is a script or a file where I enable MIDI in JACK? I have not found any button or setting in the JACK GUI for this.

Thanks,
Dave

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:41 pm

dfro wrote:Do you know if there is a script or a file where I enable MIDI in JACK? I have not found any button or setting in the JACK GUI for this.
Open the "Settings" tab in the Setup dialog in QJackCtl, find the drop-down box at the bottom of the dialog labeled "MIDI Driver", by default it's set to "none" change it to "seq". Not all applications support JACK MIDI yet, LS is being one of the first.
Last edited by dahnielson on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders Dahnielson

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Hello dfro.

Jack midi is up and running as default in Jackd, and jackmp, (multi processor version.)
The challenge comes from firstly, programmes that are jack midi compliant (Linuxsampler and Ardour being just two of an ever widening choice), and 'physical' devices, like a midi controller or audio device, for which you need an ALSA midi component. These include your soundcard, midi playback devices and controllers,etc... In LS you have a choice of midi weapons. Alsa or Jack in your case. when you build a midi device in LS, you choose which one you want, but, and i assume here you are using Qjackctl to control jackd, whichever device you choose, will appear in the format you pick. In Qjackctl, with it's three tabs, you have Audio, Jack Midi, and Alsa Midi. If you chose Alsa as an LS midi device, then a Linuxsampler port icon will appear in the Alsa Midi tab in Qjackctl. If you chose Jack as a midi device, then it would appear in the Jack Midi tab in Qjackctl.
And that raises the next question. If i choose Jack midi in LS, but my 'h/w device' is Alsa, how do i connect them together, if they're in different 'tabs?'

A possible solution.
The latest versions of both Jackd, and Jackmp, have a 'link' that appears in the Jack midi tab called 'System.' (Not to be confused with the Audioversion of the same name.) This link is just that, a representation and linking utility built into Jack/Qjackctl that enables you to 'join' Jack Midi and Alsa Midi, together. Simply take a note of your input device in the Alsa Tab (midi controller for example) and find the corresponding port representation in the Jack midi tab under System. They may not be the same name,but the POSITION of the port within the system tab is the same.So, if your first output port in ALsa midi is 'Midi Controller 1', then the first output port in the Jack midi tab will be the same, and so on.

Jack midi is still a work in progress, although completely usuable now (It's my default), and the fine tuning of correspondent ports, naming,etc,... is still going on.
If you're uncomfortable with this, then i would suggest you use alsa midi for output from your controller, into an alsa midi device you create in Linuxsampler. (It should show as a 'port in' in LS, in the Alsa midi tab.)

You should also be aware that Jack midi was introduced as 'mainstream' release 109 for jack, and 070 for jackmp. You'll also need to upgrade qjackctl to the latest version., to take advantage of the linking utility.

NOTE: I'll repeat this bit. Linuxsampler is capable of both Alsa and Jack midi. Which ever one you choose will show up in the corresponding tab in qjackctl. Chosse the one you want, when you create a device and you'll get what you choose in qjackctl.

If, when you choose ALSA midi as your device, you get a jack midi port appearing in qjackctl, then please get back here and let the team know, as there may be a small challenge there waiting to be solved.

Good Luck!

Alex.

:)

Edit: I've just read Ander's reply concerning Alsa Seq for midi. He is indeed correct, and you should ensure this is set to 'seq'.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:19 am

dahnielson wrote:Open the "Settings" tab in the Setup dialog in QJackCtl, find the drop-down box at the bottom of the dialog labeled "MIDI Driver", by default it's set to "none" change it to "seq".
I learn something valuable and new every day. :)
Not all applications support JACK MIDI yet, LS is being one of the first.
Very cool, I'll have to test it asap.

eclecticeye

Post by eclecticeye » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:33 am

dahnielson wrote:Yes. It's always best to not mix packages from synaptic and custom built. I can't answer any Ubuntu/Debian related questions as I run Gentoo Linux. But I can tell you this, if building .deb packages seems to complicated, use the old fashion manual way (like me) to build a cutting-edge install.

First check out the code from CVS:

Code: Select all

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co libgig
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co liblscp
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co linuxsampler
Make sure you have the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH set correctly by running (or putting it in your ~/.bashrc file):

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
Then enter each directory in the order given above and run:

make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure
make
su -c "make install"
You don't have to bother with CXXFLAGS unless you really want to optimize LS for your machine.
So I have been trying to follow this sugguestion.

when I enter the libgig directory and follow the make .... "make install" bit it works fine.
But as soon as I enter the liblscp directory and try the same thing again, I get

luke-MacBookPro:~$ cd liblscp
luke@luke-MacBookPro:~/liblscp$ make -f Makefile.cvs
Any sugguestions?

Cheers

- Luke