Ideas for new sample libraries

Everything and anything, but nothing about the LinuxSampler project.
dahnielson

Ideas for new sample libraries

Post by dahnielson » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:08 pm

It would be fun to collect some ideas for the samplistas on the forum (including me) that need some ideas and inspiration to new libraries. The following are projects I plan to do in the near future:

Flute -- Create a free flute library with lots of effects and overblows. See what I can do, I'm not the best flautist so the overblows and effects comes quite natural. :P

The Dropped Piano -- One project a friend and I have had in mind since last fall would be to sample a dismantled piano. We got the idea at a party where we found an old piano in pieces in the backyard, only the frame and the (detuned) strings was intact which we played on using sticks, stones and coins. So we got the idea to find someone who would give away an old upright piano (there's plenty of them) that we could tune, take apart and play on with mallet, plectrum and anything else that would make an interesting noise (in addition to playing it "prepared"). An extension of the idea would be to build a large wood box to put it on to get increased resonance and less "thin" samples.

What's your idea for doable projects?
Last edited by dahnielson on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Re: Ideas for new sample libraries

Post by Consul » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Oh, you have no clue the ideas running through MY head! :D
  • A tunable spark-gap
  • A cooking pot I have that does really cool things if you swirl water in it
  • Old tube radios, modified or broken
  • Other radio wave noise
  • Tube oscillators (I have a few hundred tubes in the basement)
  • Jupiter (okay, not so doable, but it would be cool)
  • A barbecue grill
  • A barbecue grill being bowed
  • And on and on...
For the more normal stuff:
  • Didgeridoos - any articulation I'm capable of. In fact, I talked about ways I'd like to do this in the other thread.
  • A drum library
  • My old upright piano - I'll talk about my ideas for the robot in the other thread.
  • The school's harpsichord, if they'll let me
  • Violins, violas, cellos, trumpets, French horns, etc., all using the resynthesis ideas I've discussed in other threads. I think I can find some helpful students at the school.
The sky's the limit! And I think you'll find this is all quite doable. ;)
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:39 pm

One project I would really, really, really want to do is the Viola da Gamba family and a Viola d'Amore if I could get hold on people who play them.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:43 pm

Hey, there's a fellow at the Michigan Renaissance Festival that plays a Viola de Gamba. I don't know if I can track him down, but it's worth a shot. :)
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 am

Consul wrote:Hey, there's a fellow at the Michigan Renaissance Festival that plays a Viola de Gamba. I don't know if I can track him down, but it's worth a shot. :)
Cool. But my ideal project would be ambitious and include the whole family. Think I will start to look for early music enthusiasts that can help me after I have some simpler projects under my belt.

I found a website for the Federation of Viola da Gamba Societies that led me to the Swedish society Viola da Gambaföreningen in Uppsala. Hopefully, I will attend Uppsala University next year.
Anders Dahnielson

Consul

Post by Consul » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:29 am

I remember once reading about a piano that was made with bass strings at "true length", which is to say, strings one wavelength long all along the soundboard. The lowest bass note was about 41 feet long, and then going down from there. It was built as an upright, with a multi-story building surrounding it. I don't know who built it (I remember it being in Germany, but it was so long ago that I read this article), but it was reported to sound quite good, without any of the inharmonic "muddiness" that can affect even the best grand pianos.

So I've been wondering if it might be possible to build and record some kind of single-string instrument where I could stretch and tune a length of steel string to those lengths, for the purposes of sampling. It would most likely have to be done outside, and on a quiet night, probably in the winter, or perhaps the string vibration could be captured with a piezo pickup, and then processed further. It could even be struck and bowed for more possibilities.
Darren Landrum

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:55 pm

I have alot of drum machine sample's but they are in WAV at the moment. Once I get my head around LS I'd like to sample some trains and tram's. The noise of freight trains are jam packed with frequencies to play with :D

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:15 pm

lowkey, converting samples from WAV to GIG using gigedit is easy :)
if you guys produce sample libraries and what to share them we can host them on the linuxsampler.org website.
I'm sure a centralized resource for free samples will be useful to many and if everyone contributes some samples over time
the collection will grow nicely.

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Oh yeah :D

Just opened up gigedit standalone using the command line. Kick ass :D

If you can host them I'll get to work on a drum sample library. Would using the General Midi template be cool?

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Thinking about this I'll make them for each type of sound so it'll be better to integrate with sequencers.