Way OT: Any cooks and foodies around?

Everything and anything, but nothing about the LinuxSampler project.
Consul

Way OT: Any cooks and foodies around?

Post by Consul » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Here's a pizza I made the other day:

Darren on Flickr wrote:I'm starting to get pretty good at this pizza making thing.

Dough was hand-kneaded and set in the fridge to rise overnight. The sauce is extremely simple: take a can of tomato sauce, mix in some minced garlic, brown sugar, dried basil, and dried Italian herb mix, and let it set in the fridge overnight as well.

As you can see, I like my pizzas thick with a lot of crust. It's just my own style. I'm not trying to re-create New York City here. I baked it on a pizza stone at the hottest setting my oven will go (550F).
So how about it? Can you top that? :D
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Re: Way OT: Any cooks and foodies around?

Post by dahnielson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:38 pm

I don't have any pictures of my pizza baking experiments (but I'm thinking of building a simple wood fired outdoor pizza oven like the one from Jamie Oliver's garden this summer if it's possible).

But here's a simple whipped cream and strawberry cake I made for Mothers Day (27 May in Sweden). Bottom layer is vanilla custard, upper layer is cream and mashed strawberries, decorated with fresh strawberries. N.B. I didn't have a proper serving dish or tool to apply the whipped cream with:

And I'm proud of the fact that I torture myself by whipping all cream by hand. (Which I insist on until I can afford a KitchenAid.)

Here's probably one of the best burgers I've ever had, which is weird because it was made up of whatever I had at home, a burger with parmigiano, fresh basil and Heinz on slices of sourdough rye baked in stone oven:

While this is a pretty common view at my place:

"Spaghetti alla Andersiana." It's a botched amatriciana (of sorts), my name is Anders and I am an ass.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:44 am

That burger looks pretty good. I really need to work on my photography skills.

I think I'll make another pizza for tomorrow. I'll start the dough for the crust tonight. No wonder I'm so fat. :oops: At least I walk to school every day.
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:56 am

Consul wrote:That burger looks pretty good. I really need to work on my photography skills.
Anything will look good if you use a macro lens. :D
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:15 am

Ah, so THAT'S my problem! :D

I'm also not surprised you're a foodie, too. Geeks, food, and wine seem to go hand in hand. I make my own mead on occasion, too. I've had some pretty good batches recently.
Darren Landrum