Anechoic sampled instruments and reverberation

Everything and anything, but nothing about the LinuxSampler project.
Consul

Re: Anechoic sampled instruments and reverberation

Post by Consul » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Well, omni and cardioid electret elements are pretty cheap, and can be turned into very good microphones. In fact, I have a bunch of cardioid elements to turn into mics sitting right here. :) Combining these small microphones with "envelopes" of rockwool, following the "portable vocal booth" principle except leaving off the bottom so that the floor reflection can be captured, would likely be worth experimenting with, to see if it can work.

And that's about all I can say on this subject. ;) Ambisonics is not something I've studied at all.
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Well, the theory behind it (and stuff like gradients, guess it's from vector calculus) is rather new to me. So far the above have been sort of cargo cult calculus. ;)

BTW, successfully approximating free-field conditions in the higher frequencies shouldn't be that hard with some rockwool. What's needed is set by the type of instrument to be samples.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:05 am

I didn't read this anywhere, it just dawned on me and I started to question why nobody had spilled the beans for me during my research:

Q: Why do anechoic chambers look like they do?

A: It's all topology, baby! By using wedge-shaped treatments the total surface area of the absorption material is maximized. But if the whole wedge has the same material density while the thickness varies due to its shape the wedge (and the chambers total surface area) will not have an uniform absorption.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux