Monophony (MPC like)

You name it!
georgeblunt

Monophony (MPC like)

Post by georgeblunt » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:35 am

Hey there,

I wanted to create an MPC-like behavior using linuxsampler and a selfmade gig-file. What I want to achieve is, that the sampler uses just one voice at a time (like a monophonic synth) and an infinite release time for each sample.
So, I want to send a midi note, and the sample associated with the note should play until it is finished OR another midi note is sent. In this case, it should be stopped immendiately (or preferably with a very short fadeout to avoid clicks.. which of course would mean, that it's not truly monophonic).
I've been searching for a sampler with this capability for a long time. I've even built my own sampler software using puredata, that does exactly that, but it would be a lot more elegant and powerful to use linuxsampler.
I know, that I could compile linuxsampler with max-voice-count set to 1, but this isn't a very good solution in my opinion. I'd consider this a "dirty hack" ;)

Any ideas? All comments are appreciated. :D

cuse
Developer

Re: monophony (MPC like)

Post by cuse » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:35 am

Yeah, i have one. :) LS implements the General MIDI "Mono Mode", which does what you want. For entering mono mode, send MIDI CC #126, for going back into poly mode send CC #127. Related to this, LS also implements the GM Portamento Mode, which you can turn on and off with MIDI CC #65 (a CC value >= 64 turns portamento on, a value < 64 turns it off).

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:39 am

Ah and portamento time can be controlled with MIDI CC #5

We should really write a MIDI implementation chart for LS, but you know ... time ... :)

georgeblunt

Post by georgeblunt » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 am

This sounds promising. Thank you very much! Some more puredata work ahead, I guess. :)
I am going to try this, when i come home.

georgeblunt

Post by georgeblunt » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Awesome! Thats EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks again! :D

For all who might be interested: Here is my little PureData patch I just built to control those features: http://gotbrain.de/puredata/LSPortMonoCtl.pd
You can switch portamento and mono mode on and off and control the portamento time with a slider. Have fun with it.

Greetings from Germany,
georgeblunt

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Built in gating. Cool :D

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:49 pm

Nice work George, and welcome to the LS forum.

Alex.

:)