FX Sends ?

You name it!
davephillips
User

FX Sends ?

Post by davephillips » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:28 pm

I've created an effects send for an instrument in Fantasia 0.8a. How do I use it ?

Btw, the MIDI Instrument feature is very cool.

Hilare

Re: FX Sends ?

Post by Hilare » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:51 pm

I am very curious about FX send. Up to then, i have to say that a 'send' without a 'return' is beyond my understanding.

So when you will have sort out the thing, it will be fine to read an example of the FX usage.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 pm

:) Sorry about the lack of documentation in this field. At this point those FX sends can only be used to route them out of the sampler. So you would for example create additional output channels for reverb, and/or chorus, and/or delay, and and and, ... and then route the FX sends to those dedicated effect outputs. Then externally you would route those dedicated audio channels to the respective effect plugins / applications, whatever you use as external effect.

That's how many people already use it to circumvent the missing support of internal effects in LS.

The only docs we have about this issue, is the LSCP specification: http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/draft-l ... %20FX_SEND

But one of the next things I planned is to add real internal effects for the various plugin standards. That way, the whole thing makes more sense is more convenient to setup IMO.

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:17 am

Brilliant idea!!!

This has pretty much solved alot of problems like side chaining and created new possibilities like being able to resample any instrument without having to mute effects or re route inputs in ReNoise. With LADSPA, Jack and ReNoises effects i have more than I need.

Thanks Guy's BD

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:29 pm

cuse wrote:... At this point those FX sends can only be used to route them out of the sampler. So you would for example create additional output channels for reverb, and/or chorus, and/or delay, and and and, ... and then route the FX sends to those dedicated effect outputs. Then externally you would route those dedicated audio channels to the respective effect plugins / applications, whatever you use as external effect.
Okay, I got it working. I created two extra channels in the JACK panel (in Fantasia) then I connected them to JACK Rack running a LADSPA Plate Reverb. The level control in Fantasia worked perfectly as a send amount fader, but I got no joy from assigning a MIDI controller. Am I correct to assume that the assigned controller is supposed to affect that level control ?
The only docs we have about this issue, is the LSCP specification: http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/draft-l ... %20FX_SEND
Thank you, I'll look them over today.
But one of the next things I planned is to add real internal effects for the various plugin standards. That way, the whole thing makes more sense is more convenient to setup IMO.
Yes, please implement this feature. It's worth noting that, in the Wikipedia entry on samplers, LimuxSampler is regarded as a true sampler (and not merely a sample playback engine), but IMO it lacks two features associated with true samplers: No internal effects processing, and no recording capability. The record capability I can work around (though it would be helpful to have a quick recorder in LS), but the internal effects processing really ought to be added.

Btw, at this point I'm absolutely loving LinuxSampler. Give me graphic envelope editing, internal effects routing, and a basic recorder, and I'll be in hog heaven. :)

Added: Everyone loves screenshots, so here's one of LS running a stereo fx send to JACK Rack:

http://linux-sound.org/images/ls-with-fx-sends.png

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm

davephillips wrote: Okay, I got it working. I created two extra channels in the JACK panel (in Fantasia) then I connected them to JACK Rack running a LADSPA Plate Reverb. The level control in Fantasia worked perfectly as a send amount fader, but I got no joy from assigning a MIDI controller. Am I correct to assume that the assigned controller is supposed to affect that level control ?
Yeah, the MIDI controller is solely for controlling the send level in realtime.
davephillips wrote: Yes, please implement this feature. It's worth noting that, in the Wikipedia entry on samplers, LimuxSampler is regarded as a true sampler (and not merely a sample playback engine), but IMO it lacks two features associated with true samplers: No internal effects processing, and no recording capability. The record capability I can work around (though it would be helpful to have a quick recorder in LS), but the internal effects processing really ought to be added.
Yeah, as said internal effects are on the very top of my todo list. And I hope I can integrate the major ones in one turn (that is at least LADSPA and VST, probably also LV2, but I think its not a factor yet).

About the recording capability: Not sure if it makes that much sense to spend time on that. I know this was a mandatory feature of good ol hardware samplers and one of the main reason for their name, but I guess most people prefer a full fledged recording suite instead. Or maybe we can combine a good, existing sample editor with gigedit or something ...
davephillips wrote: Btw, at this point I'm absolutely loving LinuxSampler. Give me graphic envelope editing, internal effects routing, and a basic recorder, and I'll be in hog heaven. :)
It will come, it's just a matter of spare time slots. :)

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Even if it was just one jack synced audio track I'd be over the moon. I use the ReNoise tracker which does not have a random access audio track. An audio track would mean I'd only need to use ReNoise and LS for making music. Seriously the ReNoise user's would all over LS for that feature.

http://www.renoise.com/

OK would begging help?

Please, please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please pretty please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please

PS Spot the pretty :)

Edit: If begging does not convince you...

Why does audio have to come out of the sampler anyway? If there was a freeze engine people could keep all of the LS's tool's and effects untill mixdown. The Akai S6000 was the last hardware sampler I'd buy and it was for that reason. This article explains the way of working that would be opened up and improved upon...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/sampling_software.html

The DAW could do what it's best at (editing, recording and creating performances) and LS can do what it's good at (manipulating sound).

Foley studio's, sound designer's, games studio's and stage shows would probably find it a useful too.

Edit: Here is some music made by a guy who uses just a S6000 as his only instrument...

http://www.last.fm/music/Amon+Tobin

OK I'll stop editing :)

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 am

Just been taught how to use long files in ReNoise :D

Scrub what I said above :)

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:19 am

lowkey wrote:Even if it was just one jack synced audio track I'd be over the moon. I use the ReNoise tracker which does not have a random access audio track. An audio track would mean I'd only need to use ReNoise and LS for making music. Seriously the ReNoise user's would all over LS for that feature.

http://www.renoise.com/

OK would begging help?

Please, please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please pretty please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please please, please

PS Spot the pretty :)
Uhm ... so you're begging for what exactly? A LS internal freeze function? Internal effects? ... ?

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:11 am

Yes please :)