Minor Bug with LS win.

You name it!
typewriter
Advanced User

Minor Bug with LS win.

Post by typewriter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:20 am

I inserted LS as instrument in Reaper 4 (win) with 16 outs and create 16 channels in Fantasia with routing each to its own stereo out matching to the 16 Reaper channels. When I save now the channels in Reaper as track template (1 plugin channel and 16 outs) the channel settings in LS get lost.

This means if I insert this 16 (+1) track template I get only one channel in LS/Fantasia.

With LS OSX this however is working. The LS channel settings/routings are saved with the Reaper track template and with every additional track template I insert I get 16 more channels in LS. This is how it should be.

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: Minor Bug with LS win.

Post by typewriter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:18 am

This seems to be fixed with the latest Linuxsampler WIN snapshot and the latest Reaper release.

Now there is another bug:

When I insert a track template with one Linuxsampler instance all 16 channels appear in Fantasia as well as the Midi device and the Audio device.
When I inserta second track template with 16 channels Fantasia shows 32 channels and but still one Midi and one Audio device. Hitting refresh in Fantasia shows - as it should be - 2 midi and 2 Audiodevices. After updating channels Fantasia shows still 32 channels as it should be. All fine.

BUT when I insert more than two instances of LS Fantasia shows after refresh another Midi and Audio device for each instance BUT Fantasia hangs forever when updating the channels.

This is working without any problems with LS AU on OSX.

Seems to be broken in the Windows version only.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 am

I did some more testing and I found out that Qsampler is working with a large number of channels.

It's a Fantasia Problem (on Win).

This i too bad when you need a bunch of midi maps.

typewriter
Advanced User

Bug with LS win. / Fantasia

Post by typewriter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 am

It's Fantasia causing problems as I think meanwhile.

Test this:

Insert several instances with LS Plugin (16 outs) into Reaper.

Start Fantasia
First audio and midi ports show up than after a longer "channel update" all the plugin channels
Quit Fantasia
Insert one more plugin
Start Fantasia again
Now a window shows up "getting sampler engines" - This process takes forever on OSX and uses several gigabytes of Diskspace (!) and the CPU use is immense
If you are lucky Fantasia shows the right number of channels and ports after a very long time - only n OSX

On Win 7 Pro 64 Fantasia "hangs" forever making the machine unresponsive (3ghz Dualcore with 4gig ram 2TB disc).

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:12 pm

This was a bug in LS, which I introduced with the recent changes and I think it's now fixed. Thanks for pointing it out!
For the sampler to work properly we should not allocate memory from a real-time thread. So, we need to reserve some memory in advance. I decided to set some values for the new model without much thinking and leave the fine tunning for later (still should be revised at some point). I just didn't expected such negative effect on memory. Sorry for that!

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:47 am

The fix works with OSX very good. I guess I have inserted 24 instances with 16 stereo channels each just to test it and it works now. :)

It does not work completely on Win 7 pro 64.

I can insert 128 LS channels in Reaper fire up Fantasia and it now (after a longer time) detects all channesl and does not hang.

A refresh of Fantasia hangs with "updating channels" and inserting more than 128 channels sends Fantasia also in an endless loop.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I've just committed a fix in Fantasia for this. Now it should work properly.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:11 pm

On Win7 x64 now working with up to 4 instances of LS (64 channels).

Refresh in Fantasia hangs after insering a 5th instance.

In Qsampler all channels are shown even when I insert 16 instances with 256 channels.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:32 pm

typewriter wrote:On Win7 x64 now working with up to 4 instances of LS (64 channels).
I can reproduce this even without started front-end. So, I guess this is not Fantasia issue. Also, it looks like that this bug has not been recently introduced - it also shows up on versions several months old. I don't have a debugging environment set up on Windows, so I can't help here.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for trying.

It's now working perfectly on OSX. The only drawback is the Ram-usage on OSX. Each instance eats up another 100MB of RAM. 8 instances are 800MB RAM only for the plugins while on WIN this is only around 100MB for all instances.