Linuxsampler still is not working on some Windows based PCs!

You name it!
Octron
User

Linuxsampler still is not working on some Windows based PCs!

Post by Octron » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:08 am

Reason unknown!

Please, if some of the programmers could read this and follow the problem.
I am using linusampler as educational material in the university.
I wrote some month ago the following, and it still is up to date: Linuxsampler is not working on some windows PCs. And I do not know the reason, yet!

----------------------
Old Posting:
Linuxsampler32.dll is NOT recognized from my DAWs as VSTi

Postby Octron on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 pm
Hi out there,
I have a problem.

I have two PCs. On my newer one (amd x2 4800+) Linuxsampler runs fine and the linuxsampler32.dll is recognized in all installed Sequencers.

On my old PC, Linuxsampler32.dll is NOT recognized. Its an old system with amd athlon 3000+ single core.
Reaper does not, and it is the same with sonar producer version 8.5. :roll:

I have many freeware Plugins installed. And I have installed also my own plugins build with synthedit.
Is there any known issue concerning problems with Linuxsampler

Best Regards, Markus
--------------------------

To answer your questions, yes Linuxsampler is installed correctly.
I've installed and started the application on more than 20 pc (from windows xp, Vista, to windows 7 32bit and 64 bit) until now without any mistakes, I know what I am doing!
Any DAW knows the location of the linuxsampler32.dll or when on 64 bit system, the linuxsampler64.dll.
Any tested DAW (Sonar 8.5 producer, Reaper 3.75) loads other vsti-plugins from the same folder, the linuxsampler32.dll is located in.

The problem is NOT an uncomplete installation of linuxsampler in the main Linuxsampler.exe directory.
Because of that: The linuxsampler32.dll does not appear in the DAW!
If the linuxsampler.exe application is not installed correctly, but linuxsampler.dll is copied in the VST folder, in a minimum the Linuxsampler appears as a choice in the DAW (the same behaviour in Reaper or Sonar).

But as I wrote and saw again today: the linuxsampler32.dll does not appear as a VSTi plug in neither in Reaper or in Sonar!

In the meantime, I've had an idea to this problem:
Could it be, that the linuxsampler is blocked by a firewall somehow?
Because on my old PC there was the firewall "zonealarm" installed. On the todays PC an other 3rd party firewall. On both the linuxsampler does not work!
Hmm, and the Linuxsampler has functionality to connect via internet to another Linuxsampler. The Fantasia Frontend connects itself via hostadress 127.0.0.1, when linuxsampler is started on local pc.

Please help!
Best Regards, Markus
---------------
Windows XP SP2, 4GB (3,5GB) RAM, Phenom X4, Linuxsampler, Reaper, Sonar

cuse
Developer

Re: Linuxsampler still is not working on some Windows based PCs!

Post by cuse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 am

Unlikely that this problem is related with the presence of Zonealarm. The latter would just interfere the connection between a frontend app like Fantasia to the LinuxSampler backend, since both QSampler and Fantasia use a network connection to communicate with LinuxSampler. However LinuxSampler should still appear as plugin in your VST host app. In case it does not show up there, the LinuxSampler VST plugin DLL is either not installed at the correct VST plugin DLL directory as expected by your VST host app, or your VST host application fails to load the LinuxSampler VST plugin DLL for some reason and skips it.

Octron
User

Post by Octron » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Folks,
why does noone mention, that this is a general problem with SEE2 Instruction set.

All older CPUs like AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and older do not support SEE2 and so the linuxsampler will not start, because it is compiled with SEE2.
This was discussed in this forum somewhere.

Grmpf. Anything you have to do on your own. Noone is helping :roll:

Greetings, Markus
---------------
Windows XP SP2, 4GB (3,5GB) RAM, Phenom X4, Linuxsampler, Reaper, Sonar

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:28 pm

The LinuxSampler Windows installer includes three versions of LinuxSampler: one 64 bit, one 32 bit with SSE instructions and one 32 bit without SSE instructions. The installer is supposed to figure out which one of the two 32 bit binaries that should be installed.

For example, in the latest build, linuxsampler_20111001_setup.exe, LinuxSampler32.dll with SSE instructions is 323 584 bytes, and LinuxSampler32.dll without SSE is 325 632 bytes. Maybe you can check which one got installed on your computer?