Qtractor

You name it!
Alex

Qtractor

Post by Alex » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:07 pm

Ok, a quick update, between writing some tunes with linuxsampler.

I've been working a bit with qtractor, and Rui's doing a good job with this. It's a seamless port chain with LSampler and Jack, and that figures strongly in the connections box inside Qtractor. Easy and quick to setup. So far so good. The track layout is simple and easy to follow, and the distinction between mid and audio works well. I'm doing a light ensemble in it at the moment, and all seems to be ok.

2 caveats.

I would hope in a future release that Rui considers changing the midi track format to multiple channel per track, and reflects this in the piano roll editor, with options to click on a note and change the midi channel. for some one like me who writes classical stuff, and uses a lot of articulations per section or instrument, this would cut down the channel count considerably, and make this fine programme even easier to work with.

Second, Rui, would you please consider adding shortcut options to most of the functions. It would be terrific to use Keystrokes to enact things, and really speed things up.

Rui, if you read this, i'm enjoying using qtractor, and thanks for the chance. I would suggest anyone else reading this give qtractor a try. It's very easy to use.

More to come!

Alex.

(Now it's back to writing a demo.... :mrgreen: )

rncbc
Developer

Re: Qtractor

Post by rncbc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 pm

it's me, retarded as always

i confess i've been absent here and that i'm not very found of forums, let alone my own :) anyway, i believe i've answered your questions over on http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/69 about the very same issues and, in fact, some of those have already been addressed (in code). (side node: am i wrong to assume you're the one and the same Alex?)

about multi-channel MIDI tracks, i'm afraid it's a no go, by design: one MIDI track maps to one and only MIDI channel. sorry. is that a so big shortcoming? yeah, i know it's old-school sequencing :ugeek:

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:05 pm

Hello Rui!

Yes, same Alex, and i read the answers you posted at your own forum, after i'd posted here.
Good to hear about the Shortcuts, and somewhat sad to read about midi channels. Yes it is big Rui, but i counter that with the fact i'm in the minority as far as large track counts go, and most users wouldn't need to use as many tracks as me.

I wish you good luck with this. Even if i don't use it regularly because of the sheer hassle in handling a track count over 200+, i'm sure others will get a great deal of enjoyment out of the programme. It's already good, and i look forward to seeing it mature.

Regards,
Alex.

rncbc
Developer

Post by rncbc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:54 pm

hi Alex,

yes, 200+ tracks are a bit off my mark. but it is not that qtractor has any limitation on that, quite the contrary. or so I believe. what midi sequencer do you use anyway? is it reaper i guess? how does it manage with the so many hundred MIDI track/channels issue? what particular management feature is in there that i'm missing?

anyway, i've just set loose qtractor 0.1.1 (http://qtractorsourceforge.net), codenamed futile duchess ([url]http://www,rncbc.org/drupal/72[/url]). hope you enjoy the parody :mrgreen:

cheers
--

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Rui,

I'm using Reaper for this, because it gives me 16 midi channels per track, and the option to set midi note to specified channel in the Midi Editor.
so you can see when i use one track instead of 16, i not only reduce the track count, which cuts down on a lot of scrolling, but i can, for example, assign a dedicated port to 1st Violins in LS, and have a single track in Reaper with the option of 16 articulations. (1 articulation per channel.)
This is particularly useful when i'm trying to match Up and Down Bow samples in a freeform. (Non quantized or grid specific.)

Can I respectfully suggest you download Reaper and have a look?

Alex.

rncbc
Developer

Post by rncbc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Alex,
Alex wrote: I'm using Reaper for this, because it gives me 16 midi channels per track, and the option to set midi note to specified channel in the Midi Editor. so you can see when i use one track instead of 16, i not only reduce the track count, which cuts down on a lot of scrolling, but i can, for example, assign a dedicated port to 1st Violins in LS, and have a single track in Reaper with the option of 16 articulations. (1 articulation per channel.) This is particularly useful when i'm trying to match Up and Down Bow samples in a freeform. (Non quantized or grid specific.)
ah ok, got that. however i just can't do much but saying that the one-midi-track-one-midi-channel is a deep design flaw in qtractor. it is not like whether it is easy or not to cope with the multi-channel option, it wasn't just made for that model in mind. yep, you'll have to scroll and scroll and... :mrgreen:
Alex wrote: Can I respectfully suggest you download Reaper and have a look?
you should understand now that's not really needed. given the fundamental difference there is in the midi editing models and already acknowledged here. and no, with all the respect in deed, quite frankly i don't give a damn to any windows app anymore ;) i've been a win16 and win32 programmer almost half my pro-life but got free 10 years ago. curiously, i quit smoking precisely by that time. could it be coincidence?

ok, just joking (but factually true). hope you get it all with a nice laugh ;) eh?

cheers
--

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:39 am

Hi Peeps :)

I can see where you are both coming from and I have a suggestion...

Folder tracks:

Tracks could be grouped into a folder. When the folder header is double clicked an editor window could open with the content's of the tracks like Cakewalk's midi editor (still the best by miles).

It would be cool for Alex's way of composing because he could work with more than one track at a time and it would be cool for me because I could make one drum track template.

PS Thank you Alex for pointing this app out; Never would have come across it otherwise and thank you Rui for being so generous :D

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Rui,
I must stress at this point that Qtractor is not entirely absent from the workflow. I have a 'quickdraft' template of 16 midi channels i use to get ideas down quickly. Qtractor is in it's natural element here, and is fast for this type of work, imho.

Lowkey,
I like the idea of folders, as at least a means of cutting down the scrolling, and the time wasted doing so.

Alex

rncbc
Developer

Post by rncbc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Alex wrote:I must stress at this point that Qtractor is not entirely absent from the workflow. I have a 'quickdraft' template of 16 midi channels i use to get ideas down quickly. Qtractor is in it's natural element here, and is fast for this type of work, imho.
very good to know, really! it would be a very big demotivation to me if a power-user like you could ditch it for so little. :shock:
lowkey wrote:Folder tracks: Tracks could be grouped into a folder. When the folder header is double clicked an editor window could open with the content's of the tracks like Cakewalk's midi editor (still the best by miles).
you really know where i'm coming, yes. cakewalk pro audio was the last windows app i praised :oops: and to put things in the clear, most of qtractor layout and model is severely inspired from that experience. ah, just look into the midi instrument map support on qtractor: it's plain old cakewalk's .ins files that goes in there, see? :mrgreen:

re. track folders: yes it is a very good idea, if not the best. and you know what: it has been lurking in my not-so-short-list-anymore for ages :) if you stare on the list of things to come (as found in the user manual) you'll see that there are too many things to do ahead of it, though :(

cheers
--

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:01 pm

rncbc wrote:
Alex wrote:I must stress at this point that Qtractor is not entirely absent from the workflow. I have a 'quickdraft' template of 16 midi channels i use to get ideas down quickly. Qtractor is in it's natural element here, and is fast for this type of work, imho.
very good to know, really! it would be a very big demotivation to me if a power-user like you could ditch it for so little. :shock:
Rui,
Just to correct something here so we don't have a misunderstanding. Multiple midi channels per track isn't a 'little' thing for me. It's a very big thing, and often the first thing i evaluate in a Daw. I spent too many years scrolling through single midi channel tracks, to want to go there again, for anything over about 50 tracks.
And it's big enough, that i've dumped 'commercial' Daws that don't do this well, or badly.
So while i find Qtractor really enjoyable, fast, and easy to use for quick drafting in an orchestral perspective, please don't assume that multi midi channels per tracks is 'little' for all users, because it isn't. I've heard the same thing from other developers in the past, and i'd like to think you're more open minded than that.

Folders is a good potential option here.

And, it's good to hear about the keyboard shortcuts, so not all is lost! 8-)

Alex.