Qtractor

You name it!
Alex

Re: Qtractor

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Rui,
All behaves ok now. I can load multiple audio busses without crashing.

Thanks!

Alex.
:mrgreen:

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:46 am

Does anyone know how to reset Qractor's gui please? I took off the main menu and I cant bring it back (I was editing the key command list at the time)...

Yeah people this stupid exist :P

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:48 am

lowkey wrote:Does anyone know how to reset Qractor's gui please? I took off the main menu and I cant bring it back (I was editing the key command list at the time)...
I think there's a qtractor.rc file or something like it in ~/.qt/ you can delete or edit.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:52 am

Cheers Anders :)

I cant find that file in in my /.qt folder. I can see othet QT programs like qsampler and qjackctrl but no qractor.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 pm

lowkey wrote:Cheers Anders :)

I cant find that file in in my /.qt folder. I can see othet QT programs like qsampler and qjackctrl but no qractor.
That's because I was to lazy too actually check if I was correct or not:

http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtracto ... figuration

;)
Last edited by dahnielson on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:03 pm

Youve saved my sanity again Anders :D

I really should stop working on my computer late at night lol

Thank you :D

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Just been playing with QTractor. This seriously kicks ass :D

I love Reaper but QTractor makes more sense if I'm using ReNoise with LS. I really liked Reaper and the community but my computer isn't beefy enough to cope with running wine on top of the stuff I want use. I have a Sempron LE 1200 which runs at 93% when I have ReNoise, LS and Reaper/Wine running a demo. Its about 65% with RN, LS and QTractor!

When ReNoise sync's Jack transport everything else will be gravy :D

Thank you Rui

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:30 pm

lowkey wrote:Just been playing with QTractor. This seriously kicks ass :D

I love Reaper but QTractor makes more sense if I'm using ReNoise with LS. I really liked Reaper and the community but my computer isn't beefy enough to cope with running wine on top of the stuff I want use. I have a Sempron LE 1200 which runs at 93% when I have ReNoise, LS and Reaper/Wine running a demo. Its about 65% with RN, LS and QTractor!

When ReNoise sync's Jack transport everything else will be gravy :D

Thank you Rui
Yes, it does seriously kick backside. (Call me old fashioned lol.)
I'm looking forward to seeing QTR grow even further, and it's good to see you're giving it a fair shake, Lowkey.
There's a lot to admire in the programme.
:mrgreen:

Alex.

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:54 pm

Alex, I cant crash this! 8o

Ive been trying to get ReNoise, LS and QTractor to top out and I cant do it. Ive really prided mysself on being able to crash most programs especially music app's but I cant do it with these 3...Ive almost got the perfect system...in 1 box!!!

Anyone who says "Linux isn't there yet for music" is talking do-do from this day on :D

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:44 pm

rncbc wrote:... the one-midi-track-one-midi-channel is a deep design flaw in qtractor...
Hi Rui,

Yes, and it's a major flaw in any sequencer's initial design (including my favorite Sequencer Plus Gold). I remember being very impressed with the original Master Tracks Pro because it could handle multiple MIDI channels per track. Other sequencers picked up up on the design, adding such niceties as color-coding notes per channel.

And this was in the late 1980s. Sigh... I really think that too many Linux and Windows sequencers suffer because the devs don't compare their work to earlier MIDI-only sequencers. No native Linux sequencer has a features set that compares to my ancient DOS sequencer, and that's just kind of wrong IMO. I've posted that list of features many times for the LAD list, but it seems that 1) audio support is more important and 2) the audio/MIDI marriage is more important.

IIRC Rosegarden has a nice MIDI edit/transform function, but it's not especially easy to use. What I want is pop-up or pull-down menus of MIDI data transforms such as retrograde, invert, transpose, harmonic invert/transpose, mapping, randomize pitch/velocity/start-time/duration, and so forth. *Musical* transforms, processes that I might use hundreds of times in a single composition. I want block copy/replace/delete, MTC support, controller mapping, track merge, rebar functions, note splitting, et cetera.ad absurdum.

If you like, I'll send the features list from Sequencer Plus Gold to you, maybe you can implement some of its neater functions.

I realize that MIDI is the red-headed step-child of Linux audio development, but developers aren't always so sharp about what users need and/or how they'll use what's offered. For all its warts, MIDI remains an effective and powerful aid to making music with computers, and I don't see it going away any time soon.

Btw, I hope you know that none of this complaint is directed towards you personally, Rui. I'm a major fan of the Rui Nuno Capela software collection, may it live long and prosper outrageously. :)

Another question: Does anyone here know whether drobilla's MIDI work in Ardour includes multichannel MIDI tracks ?