Channel naming convention

You name it!
songshop

Channel naming convention

Post by songshop » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:25 pm

please please please change the naming of the jack audio ports from "0 to whatever" to "1 to whatever". this is VERY important for the end user imho; i run 32 audio channels via netjack back to my daw host which has 40 audio channels back to my desk. i end up having to decrement the audio channel number in linuxsampler back by -1 relative to the desk channel number when making assignements and this is most annoying and time consuming. no mixing desk in the world has a channel 0. if you must have a channel 0, then put an increment of +1 somewhere for the end user.

my 2c. ;)

best,

g

dahnielson

Re: channel naming convention

Post by dahnielson » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:04 pm

You know that you can name them right? So that they turn up as 1, 2, 3, 4... or 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R.. or whatever in the JACK connections graph or the software you connect them to.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

songshop

Re: channel naming convention

Post by songshop » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:45 pm

sure, but i contend that it should never be necessary to change the number system.port name = not important; the number is everything when communicating in any audio system and for simplicity sake it just shouldn't be necessary. for noobs too it's gonna be an issue. a small but unnecessary one :)

g.