Before I download - will this work with VSL Pro Edition?

You name it!
Hamish

Re: Before I download - will this work with VSL Pro Edition?

Post by Hamish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Well according to one of the VSL guys any kind of reselling breaks the agreement. Oh well. If the license can be transferred, I'm gonna have a hard job getting into contact with the guy who sold the library to me.

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:12 am

Hamish wrote:Well according to one of the VSL guys any kind of reselling breaks the agreement. Oh well. If the license can be transferred, I'm gonna have a hard job getting into contact with the guy who sold the library to me.
If you can transfer the samples I am selling OPUS 1 and 2 :)
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:46 am

AFAIK in the EU such license restrictions can only be made for custom software, that is if the library was specifically made for some customer. I'd say the VSL is a standard product though. Whether they are really bound to help you on the issue depends on other factors as well, like how the product was advertised to work with GSt (e.g. on the VSL package), the time that passed since the original owner bought it, etc.

Many vendors, especially some from the US, are used to distribute their products with hard license restrictions. But that's often not applicable in the EU.

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:45 pm

cuse wrote:AFAIK in the EU such license restrictions can only be made for custom software, that is if the library was specifically made for some customer. I'd say the VSL is a standard product though. Whether they are really bound to help you on the issue depends on other factors as well, like how the product was advertised to work with GSt (e.g. on the VSL package), the time that passed since the original owner bought it, etc.

Many vendors, especially some from the US, are used to distribute their products with hard license restrictions. But that's often not applicable in the EU.
In the end you get to make any license you want, however if brought to court would the lisence stand. When I bought VSL, I opened the packaging and on the final wrapping on the DVD they stated something like "by opening this you agree to blah blah blah". I already paid for the package to ship to me in Canada from Germany. I opened all the packaging and the license was a big SUPRISE!! on the DVD.

It would be interesting to see it hold up in court.

You know I might just sell my OPUS 1 and 2 :)
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:44 pm

ccherrett wrote:When I bought VSL, I opened the packaging and on the final wrapping on the DVD they stated something like "by opening this you agree to blah blah blah". I already paid for the package to ship to me in Canada from Germany. I opened all the packaging and the license was a big SUPRISE!! on the DVD.

It would be interesting to see it hold up in court.
That's one of the things which are definitely invalid within the EU. When you buy a standard software product, let's say in a shiny package from a store, all licensing conditions must be available to the buyer BEFORE he buys the product. So at least you should have access to a package in the store which you are actually allowed to open to see the licensing agreement, or there should be a notice on the package where you can get the exact licensing agreement. Otherwise you have the right to give the product back to your store, since not all conditions of the deal were given to you at the point where you bought it. However that right would in practice be limited to a certain time range. After couple days you certainly should be able to give it back. After couple years it would be hard.

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Well it doesn't matter guys - because apparently the sample repeating is normal. It's not sample repeating. It's the violin player bowing the other way. I've never touched a violin so you can imagine my confusion with the seemingly twice-playing samples.

Also, from my testing so far, LinuxSampler is just as good as GigaStudio in terms of sound quality and functionality. It's being let down by it's GUI, which has some annoying bugs, eg. when you click in an empty text-box, and then click out, you get a warning box pop up. Also, I think it would be a good idea to ditch one of the GUIs and focus all efforts on one of them, to build the best user experience possible.