Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

You name it!
Andreas
Developer

Re: Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:18 am

Erikds wrote:Does it still make sense to try out the replacement liblinuxsampler-1.dll (ls-asio-debug.zip) with Adobe Windows Sound 1.5?
As that ASIO driver seems to be obsolete, I don't think it's that important. Thanks anyway.

I'm more interested in your other problem:
As to the versions of Linuxsampler i can use under XP using ASIO4ALL giving normal sound quality, the most recent one is 20090623.
Versions 20090704 and 20090714 give both terribly distorted sound and high latency. This is on the same laptop and using the same ASIO4ALL driver.
Any idea where i should look to find what could possibly cause this?
We'll have to find out what change in LS between 0623 and 0704 it is that causes this. 0714 was built by me, the others by Benno, so there could be differences because of our different compile environments, but as 0704 is also causing problems, this should not be the problem in this case. There are six CVS commits between 0623 and 0704, I could try to build a version with only some of them included and let you try that one.

Kaiyoti

Post by Kaiyoti » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:55 am

Andreas wrote:
Kaiyoti wrote:Is the Windows VST version open source? (The VST connector portion)
The source for the VST version is included in the LinuxSampler source, so it follows the LinuxSampler license (see the download and FAQ pages about the license).
Would it be possible to make my own adjustments?
Yes, sure. Just curious: what changes do you have in mind?
Thanks. It's mostly just personal workflows.
For instance, it would be great to see a list of available midi channels within the VST itself, ordered by the ports and channels. And some sort of server status indicator. Right now, the only way is to turn on one of the front end interfaces to check.

Paul

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:53 am

Erikds wrote:As to the versions of Linuxsampler i can use under XP using ASIO4ALL giving normal sound quality, the most recent one is 20090623.
Versions 20090704 and 20090714 give both terribly distorted sound and high latency. This is on the same laptop and using the same ASIO4ALL driver.
First, just checking, 0704 was the first version that had the "32" and "64" sub-directories under Program Files/LinuxSampler. This means that it's important to completely uninstall 0623 before installing a later version, otherwise there will be a mixture of old and new DLL files in the system, which can't be good.

I now have four(!) versions for you to test. These are liblinuxsampler-1.dll files that are supposed to replace the one in 0623, on a 32 bit installation.

The first one should be identical to 0623, just a test that I build these test versions correctly.

The second one includes this change:
2009-07-04 schoenebeck
* fixed vector optimization code in AudioChannel.cpp: - application crashed when audio buffer(s) were not 16 byte aligned (e.g. the case with some VST host applications) - vector extension code was always to tried be compiled, even though the compiler didn't support vector extensions

The third this:
2009-06-28 persson
* made program change handling in MIDI thread real-time safe by moving the logic to a non-RT thread

The fourth this:
2009-06-27 persson
* fixed crash happening when a pitch bend event arrived at the same time a new instrument was loading

You'll find the files here.

Erikds

Post by Erikds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:55 pm

Andreas wrote:
Erikds wrote:As to the versions of Linuxsampler i can use under XP using ASIO4ALL giving normal sound quality, the most recent one is 20090623.
First, just checking, 0704 was the first version that had the "32" and "64" sub-directories under Program Files/LinuxSampler. This means that it's important to completely uninstall 0623 before installing a later version, otherwise there will be a mixture of old and new DLL files in the system, which can't be good.

I now have four(!) versions for you to test. These are liblinuxsampler-1.dll files that are supposed to replace the one in 0623, on a 32 bit installation.

The first one should be identical to 0623, just a test that I build these test versions correctly.

The second one includes this change:
2009-07-04 schoenebeck
* fixed vector optimization code in AudioChannel.cpp: - application crashed when audio buffer(s) were not 16 byte aligned (e.g. the case with some VST host applications) - vector extension code was always to tried be compiled, even though the compiler didn't support vector extensions

The third this:
2009-06-28 persson
* made program change handling in MIDI thread real-time safe by moving the logic to a non-RT thread

The fourth this:
2009-06-27 persson
* fixed crash happening when a pitch bend event arrived at the same time a new instrument was loading

You'll find the files here.
All four versions of liblinuxsampler-1.dll work without giving distortion.
I substituted in the 20090623 version its liblinuxsampler-1.dll by each of the test-files you made available.
To make sure that these substitutes are actually used in the test i renamed the liblinuxsample-1.dll and veryfied that Fantasia cannot connect to the backend.
To crosscheck i downloaded linuxsampler_20090714_setup.exe from http://download.linuxsampler.org/dev/win/ again.
I uninstalled linuxsampler 20090623 using the Windows uninstaller and verified using regedit that in the registry there was no mentioning of liblinuxsampler_1.dll .
I then installed the 20090714 version freshly downloaded.
To make sure this was not something caused by a corrupted .lscp file i loaded a few instruments manually.
Result: terrible sound distortion.
So it must have something to do with some other file that was changed.
Anything else i can test?

All the best.

Erik.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Erikds wrote:Anything else i can test?
Maybe you could try with one of the 4 test DLLs, let's say the first one, in the 0714 installation.

Erikds

Post by Erikds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:14 pm

Andreas wrote:
Erikds wrote:Anything else i can test?
Maybe you could try with one of the 4 test DLLs, let's say the first one, in the 0714 installation.
That is exactly what i have just done before reading your superfast feedback. Telepathy at work?
Result: no distortion
I used the test4 file.
There must be something wrong then with the liblinuxsampler-1.dll included in the 20090714 installer file on the download server.
Is there an other place than the one i linked in the previous message?

In any case: problem solved here.

Thanks very much for your very quick responsiveness.

All the best.

Erik.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Erikds wrote:There must be something wrong then with the liblinuxsampler-1.dll included in the 20090714 installer file on the download server.
I've made yet another DLL to test with (test5.zip). It should be built from exactly the same code as the one in 0714, so if this one works, I must have made some mistake when I built 0714, or the installer chooses the wrong version of the DLL (there is one for CPUs without SSE. Not that that version should give noises though).

Erikds

Post by Erikds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Andreas wrote:
Erikds wrote:There must be something wrong then with the liblinuxsampler-1.dll included in the 20090714 installer file on the download server.
I've made yet another DLL to test with (test5.zip). It should be built from exactly the same code as the one in 0714, so if this one works, I must have made some mistake when I built 0714, or the installer chooses the wrong version of the DLL (there is one for CPUs without SSE. Not that that version should give noises though).
The test5 file plays also without distortion.

Which one should i keep to use permanently with 20090714?

All the best.

Erik.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:50 pm

Erikds wrote:Which one should i keep to use permanently with 20090714?
The test5 version is the one you want.

But I still can't understand what's wrong with the one included in 0714. What is the size of the DLL you got from the 0714 installer? 2679108 or 2733380 bytes?

antiesen

Post by antiesen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi there,

sorry I've to disturb this asio discussion.

testing the last vsti version on vista32:
loading multiple sounds/gig ist working, multiple outputs also - everything works great
so far.
Execept the gigedit can't be started from the vsti.
When pushed -edit- on fantasia a OS window appears:
"g_win32_get_package_installation_directory_of_module" wurde in der
DLL "libglib-2.0-0.dll" nicht gefunden.
(...wasn't found)
an a fantasia popup:
Starting an instrument editor: There is no instrument editor capable to handle this instrument

an standalone fatasia and qsampler it works.