Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

You name it!
cuse
Developer

Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by cuse » Tue May 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Hi everybody!

On the finish line to the upcoming next release of LinuxSampler and friends, Andreas and I just finished a beta pre-release for the Windows platform. You can download it here:

http://download.linuxsampler.org/dev/wi ... _setup.exe

This is the first Windows version which includes a VST plugin version of the sampler. The installer includes both, native 64 bit binaries and 32 bit binaries. The installer detects the system type and installs the appropriate binaries automatically. Feedback appreciated!

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by typewriter » Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Congratulations! I'll test it with reaper 64.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Tue May 12, 2009 11:50 pm

We are looking for feedback on any 32 bit VST sequencer and 64 bit VST sequencers,
like Cakewalk Sonar and Cubase 5.0 / 5.1 in 64 bit mode.
Please test the LinuxSampler VST plugin under any VST host you have access to and let us know the results, whether it works ok, or there are problems
and what the performance is on your box.
Please provide informations about the type of operating system, Sequencer software version, specs of your PC (CPU, RAM, mainboard, misks).
thanks and happy VST-ing :)
Benno

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Wed May 13, 2009 10:35 am

Hi,
So far I have succesfully loaded the linuxsampler VST in VSTHost, SAVIHost, Cantabile 1.2 Lite, and Cakewalk Sonar 6. This is on my laptop running WindowsXP Prof 32-bit, Jack 1.9.2 using the ASIO4ALL generic drivers (dual-core Intel Centrino, 2 Gig Ram). I don't have keyboards connected to the laptop, so have only tested using the virtual keyboard in Fantasia. I will get to test on the Desktop PC with MIDI keyboards tonight.
GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

Steele

Post by Steele » Wed May 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Is this with Jackmidi?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Wed May 13, 2009 2:31 pm

No, just Jack Audio (Jackdmp for Windows build)

I have just confirmed that the VST loads and works in Reaper (64-bit) running in my VMware Windows XP Prof (64-bit) test environment. Looking good :-)
GrahamG

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Wed May 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Right, installed this pre-release linuxsampler on the desktop PC and loaded the Stiehr-Mockers Organ samples from the Eglise Protestant in Romanswiller, France into Fantasia stand alone (22 instruments on the rack playing simultaneously) and played my heart out, two manuals and pedals (= 3 Midi keyboards). Some slight stutter on very large and fast chords during the first minute of 'go go go!' playing and then things were rock steady. It may be that the computer was catching up with something else during that first minute....?
Polyphony set to 700, streams set to 770, dualcore AMD 2.8Ghz running Windows XP Prof 32-bit with 4 Gig Ram. SATA hard-drive.
Will test a larger virtual organ in the morning - now off to bed.
GrahamG

bartonbrass

Post by bartonbrass » Fri May 15, 2009 5:34 am

I installed, but I don't get any sound when I click on virtual keys, I get: Midi event Failed Note On then Note Off.
Also when I press a key on my keyboard, MidiTzer shows the key being pressed but I don't see anything under stream/voice count. Maybe I'm up too late lol, Ioad Linuxsampler then Fantasia hmm going to restart computer.

Nope says Midi Event Failed :( any ideas?

It's working now don't know why lol.

Bennett

Post by Bennett » Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Firstly a huge thank you for your work on Linuxsampler!

Ran the VSTi beta briefly (and late at night) and found these behaviors:

- Notes would intermittently stop responding to input from my midi keyboard. It also seemed like at times that a note on event was read, but at near 0 velocity. I tried some simple midi sequences and those seemed to work OK.

- Adjustment of the number of audio outputs caused Linuxsampler to crash. Adjustment of the audio outputs in standalone operation worked fine.

- There appears to be a bug in the Instrument Index (patch) selector. I was browsing through a violin patch from Kirk Hunters Emerald Orchestra and when I select a particular patch, sometimes an incorrect patch would be loaded.

- Strange behavior to FL Studio only - multiple instances of the Fantasia frontend open upon loading the VSTi into a generator slot. I believe that this has to do with the FL Studio VSTi wrapper. Every time I select the VSTi wrapper to adjust a parameter (such as midi port mapping), another instance of Fantasia loads.

I'm definitely going to spend some more quality time with this and report back.

System specs:
Hosts tested: energyXT 1.4.1, FL Studio 8.5 (beta3)
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3400+
Mobo: Asus K8V Deluxe
RAM: 2G PC3200
HDD: 2x UDMA133 drives (system + audio capture) + 1 SATA drive (gig samples)
Video: nVidia GeForce 6600GT
Sound: M-Audio Ozonic (FireWire)

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Fri May 15, 2009 11:29 pm

FYI there is a thread on kvraudio.com about the LS VST beta:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251247

post by Alex_HS

Sorry my poor English. I tried subj on my Internet comp in Nuendo3 and Reaper. Nuendo can't see MIDI for it. In Reaper it works, I loaded couple instruments on few MIDI-channels. But I can't change numbers of Audio outs, when I tried to change this in QSampler front-end, Reaper crashed. Maybe I do something wrong and there must to be other order of actions?