Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

You name it!
typewriter
Advanced User

Re: Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by typewriter » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:56 am

sbenno wrote: about Fantasia not coming up in 64bit mode:
Do you get some kind of error message ?
Can you start Fantasia manually from the start menu ? does it start correctly ?
I did a new install on win 7 64bit RC everything works. When I insert another instance Fantasia shows up twice. Is this intended? Both windows show the same.
Fantasia did not show up on vista 64. I guess this is caused by some older installation with a older cvs version.

One question: While LS generates 16 stereo outputs in Reaper X64 I have only one audio output in fantasia with 32 channels. How is this supposed to work? Wouldn't it make sense to have there 16 stereo channels, too? If I insert another instance I have 16 more stereo channels in Reaper but again only one other audio output in fantasia, again with 32 channels. On the main panel I have only the routing otion to two 32 channel audio devices - I can't select one of the 32 stereo channels in Reaper.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Tha audio routing in Fantasia works as following:

LinuxSampler VST internally opens 1 audio device with 32 outs.
So basically the mapping is the following:

Reaper: chan out 1 left Fantasia chan: 0
Reaper: chan out 1 right Fantasia chan: 1
Reaper: chan out 2 left Fantasia chan: 2
Reaper: chan out 2 right Fantasia chan: 3
Reaper: chan out 3 left Fantasia chan: 4
Reaper: chan out 3 right Fantasia chan: 5

You can use LinuxSampler's internal FX routing (see the FX panels in Fantasia)
to use some of the outputs as FX channel sends.
just click on add FX, specify MIDI controller which controls the amount, and then specify the 2 output channels (0..31)
where the FX send is routed to. Then the FX send will be available in the VST host for further processing (eg reverb etc).

We are waiting for a cool complex audio demo which uses a VST sequencer, LinuxSampler and some good GIG samples :) any taker ? :))
audio demo along with a video of the sequencer screen would be cool :)

marce

Post by marce » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:13 pm

I cant make it work with Samplitude Music Studio. All is ok, but no sound from any of the multi-channels. But if i load Phrazor, and then inside of it LinuxSampler, it works ok. So, it appears to be some issue between Samplitude and LinuxSampler.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:01 pm

sbenno wrote: You can use LinuxSampler's internal FX routing (see the FX panels in Fantasia)
just click on add FX, specify MIDI controller which controls the amount, and then specify the 2 output channels (0..31)
where the FX send is routed to. Then the FX send will be available in the VST host for further processing (eg reverb etc)
I see, It works but the settings are not saved when you save the song in the host.
I tried it with Reaper x64 and after opening a project again all output was routed to the main output again.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:52 am

sbenno wrote:You can use LinuxSampler's internal FX routing (see the FX panels in Fantasia)
where the FX send is routed to. Then the FX send will be available in the VST host for further processing (eg reverb etc)
Note that this is for the special case when you use FX sends. For normal routing of the sampler channel output, you click on "options" and then on the "CR" button. There you can choose which output channels the left and right output should be routed to.
typewriter wrote:I see, It works but the settings are not saved when you save the song in the host.
I tried it with Reaper x64 and after opening a project again all output was routed to the main output again.
Good catch. Neither the FX send info nor the channel routing is saved in the plugin state. I'll fix that.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:45 am

Andreas wrote:Good catch. Neither the FX send info nor the channel routing is saved in the plugin state. I'll fix that.
Is it possible to save the used Midimap, too? I did not not try it with the windows version but I recall that the AU plugin did not save that.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Andreas wrote:Good catch. Neither the FX send info nor the channel routing is saved in the plugin state. I'll fix that.
Andreas, how about implementing a session dump command for LSCP in this turn? That could be recycled for many purposes. Hard core users could make a dump of their sampler session on the console and the effort for frontends would be reduced, since ATM the session dump is manually coded on the frontends side.

But I would probably postpone those issues after the upcoming release. It's not sooo drastical that the session is not stored with the VST session ATM, is it?

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:34 pm

I may be wrong but I guess most people here use LS for orchestral work, mostly with the old VSL samples.

My goal with LS VST is to create track templates for Reaper with all outs and effects stored and with a midi map that enables me to call up all the different samples on demand by using program changes. Reaper 3 does support individual bank/program change files - So once the midi map is programmed and the and according bank file for Reaper is created I wouldn't need to touch the interface anymore. I would insert my track template with all the LS instances and start making music. Sample program selection would be done by program changes.

So saving the midimap and the output routing within the host would make sense at least for being able to create and work with templates.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:08 pm

I just committed a change so channel routing, fx sends and midi maps are included in the information the plugin saves in the song.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Andreas wrote:I just committed a change so channel routing, fx sends and midi maps are included in the information the plugin saves in the song.
Sweet :)