Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

You name it!
typewriter
Advanced User

Re: Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by typewriter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:31 pm

ccherrett wrote: As it turns out even though I own The Performance Set (big money), I have no need for them. Alex Stone has been giving my wife lessons and teaching her how to manually achieve better results than the performace tool.
I would love to know how to achieve this. It would also help Mac users to use the VSL Gigasounds with LS AU. I tried to install the Perormance Tool with Wine on a Mac - it depends on the Wine version wheather it runs or not. Can be quite frustrating.
ccherrett wrote: We have opened up the entire VSL library and every articulation to named program changes. It is super simple to change between articulations on the fly.
I started to work on something similar for Reaper. Since Reaper 3 there is a plugin included that manages program and bank changes. All you need to do is to create "Reaper banks" that mirror the LS midimaps. However it takes forever to type in all the stuff... ;-)

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 pm

a few bugreports about the latest beta from various forums users:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38133

from keyman_sam:
instrument database still crashes! I'm not able to scan recursively my giga folder. Perhaps its too huge?

In any case, a future provision for a soft crash would be nice. Currently, if linuxSampler crashes, it brings reaper down and I have to restart the computer. It would be nice to avoid this.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=30
I've got a problem ! I can't find the vst dll anywhere.
My main HD is F:/ nothing in F:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins

I have also a C: HD : nothing

could you add an option to the installer in order to choose the vst path ?
my main is Cdrive program files,steinberg,vstplugins and it hasn't put the dll in there.
Andreas: perhaps would be useful to put online a debug enabled linuxsampler binary (VST) so that users can debug the instruments database problem ? because some do hav a large set of sample libraries.

cuse: what doe sthe installer do in case the main drive is not C ? or if the vstplugins registry key is missing ? perhaps we should allow installing the VST DLL on a custom path ?

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:47 pm

cuse wrote:Ok, we'll upload the next release candidate for OS X as well. And if it's not too much work, we'll try to include VST support for OS X, too.
I have Protools 8 le and a Mbox since this week and I can confirm now that it is not possible to use AUs on Protools Mac. There is a VST to RTAS Wrapper available - for Win and OSX that works quite good as people say. The only way to get an AU running in Protools is to load the AU into Native instruments Kore 2 which costs around 400 $. VST for Mac would at least open the possibility tu use the wrapper which is cheaper that Kore 2.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:27 am

Hi Guys,
I just had some feedback from a colleague of mine, who had problems on his WinXP laptop...
"The culprit was Adobe Windows Sound, another ASIO wrapper than ASIO4ALL, that was selected because is was apparently first in the list.
Since i don't know how to change the order in which the different ASIO drivers are placed, the solution was to get rid of it.
As a result, now Fantasia can communicate with Linuxsampler backend, and load .lscp files, using ASIO4ALL as audio driver.
The Backend log in Fantasia gave me the info about the wrong ASIO driver being picked.
I had to use linuxsampler_20090623_setup.exe, because with linuxsampler_20090714_setup.exe the audio was very distorded.
I used the same settings in ASIO4ALL in both cases.
Is this a known problem?"

It seems to be related to the old ASIO bug 117... has something changed in the code that undoes the patches from 117?
GrahamG

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:26 am

It seems to be related to the old ASIO bug 117... has something changed in the code that undoes the patches from 117?
No, nothing has changed in the ASIO driver between the bug 117 commit and the two mentioned installers. This problem is probably something else. I'm actually working with the ASIO driver right now (see this thread). It would be great if your colleague could try the test version from that thread: http://download.linuxsampler.org/~perss ... -debug.zip, preferably both with and without the Adobe driver installed. Note that it's just a DLL file meant to replace the one in the "32" directory from the 20090714 installation.
I had to use linuxsampler_20090623_setup.exe, because with linuxsampler_20090714_setup.exe the audio was very distorded.
This is strange and not a known problem. I don't see anything particularly suspicious in the commit log. Which host is this happening in?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am

Hi Andreas,
This is using Fantasia Stand-Alone. I'll download you new dll and ask Erik to do so too. Thanks,
GrahamG

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:06 pm

ggoodesa wrote:This is using Fantasia Stand-Alone.
Yes, of course. Stupid question from me there, sorry.

By the way, I have just installed the demo of Adobe Audition, but the ASIO driver it installs seems only to be visible inside Audition itself, not from LS or other ASIO programs. I also noticed that Audition seems to have some problems with the LS VST, it crashes when loading certain gig files. Very strange, as those gigs work ok in the VST when it's running in other hosts.

Kaiyoti

Post by Kaiyoti » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:45 am

Is the Windows VST version open source? (The VST connector portion)

Would it be possible to make my own adjustments?

Erikds

Post by Erikds » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Andreas wrote:
By the way, I have just installed the demo of Adobe Audition, but the ASIO driver it installs seems only to be visible inside Audition itself, not from LS or other ASIO programs. I also noticed that Audition seems to have some problems with the LS VST, it crashes when loading certain gig files. Very strange, as those gigs work ok in the VST when it's running in other hosts.
The Adobe Windows Sound 1.5 driver was the one causing trouble.
It apparently remained on my laptop from loading in the past Adobe Encore DVD v1.5 or Adobe PremierePro v1.5 and this Asio wrapper was visible in every program capable of seeing ASIO drivers. I used it in the past with certain organ playing software because it gave better results than ASIO4ALL.
In the mean time i erased it from my system.
With Adobe Audition v2.0 i have no problem either and its ASIO driver is indeed not visible outside Audition.

Does it still make sense to try out the replacement liblinuxsampler-1.dll (ls-asio-debug.zip) with Adobe Windows Sound 1.5?
If it is useful for you i am willing to do it (provided i find the install file for the program that installed it in the past).
Just let me know.

Linuxsampler VSTi runs without problems now here in Plogue Bidule, both 32 bit under XP and 64 bit under Vista Home Premium.

As to the versions of Linuxsampler i can use under XP using ASIO4ALL giving normal sound quality, the most recent one is 20090623.
Versions 20090704 and 20090714 give both terribly distorted sound and high latency. This is on the same laptop and using the same ASIO4ALL driver.
Any idea where i should look to find what could possibly cause this?

All the best.

Erik.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:54 am

Kaiyoti wrote:Is the Windows VST version open source? (The VST connector portion)
The source for the VST version is included in the LinuxSampler source, so it follows the LinuxSampler license (see the download and FAQ pages about the license).
Would it be possible to make my own adjustments?
Yes, sure. Just curious: what changes do you have in mind?