LinuxSampler AU plugin

You name it!
grishata
Developer

LinuxSampler AU plugin

Post by grishata » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 am

Hi all,
I'm working to add support for running LinuxSampler as AudioUnit plugin, but before releasing it I'll appreciate some testing and feedback.
Here is the first test release: LinuxSamplerAU_20090217.zip

Note that due to bug #118 the plugin will crash if you use the latest build of either qsampler or jsampler.
For qsampler you should use a build before 2008-12-07 and for jsampler before 2008-12-24.
It is safe to use jsampler v0.8a-cvs5.

Installation: unzip it and move it to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ or ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

To run jsampler on mac you need to download and install Java SE 6:

To make it default go to /Applications/Utilities/Java and run the Java Preferences application. In Java application version section there is a list of all installed java versions. Just drag Java SE 6 on top of the list.

For those of you having 32bit intel Macs may try the open-source port of Java 6 to Mac OS X:.

EDIT: Note that you should manually launch the desired frontend after the plugin is loaded.

dahnielson

Re: LinuxSampler AU plugin

Post by dahnielson » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:56 am

8-)
  • AU... check
  • VST... check
  • LV2... check
  • DSSI... check
The next release will be a killer one in addition to everything else that's been added.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm

It works! Fantastic work!

Finally: Using Giga-Sounds with Logic without conversion hassle!

What seems strange is that the Gui (Fantasia) is seperated from the AU-Plugin. Is it planned to stay that way?

There should be at least a button on the Plugin to call up the Fantasia Window.

As far as I see it it is possible to add AU-Plugins with no limit.

This is absolultely great since it saves us from this multichannel au setup madness in logic.

The AU-plugins show up as audio out channels in Fantasia. Therefore it should be possible to give names to the channels to get an overview which sound is routed to which audio out.

I was not able to save a session with Fantasia. Maybe I did something wrong.

Does every inserted plugin work as a own thread in OSX, i.e. does it use multiple cores by that?

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 pm

typewriter wrote:What seems strange is that the Gui (Fantasia) is seperated from the AU-Plugin. Is it planned to stay that way?

There should be at least a button on the Plugin to call up the Fantasia Window.

The AU-plugins show up as audio out channels in Fantasia. Therefore it should be possible to give names to the channels to get an overview which sound is routed to which audio out.

I was not able to save a session with Fantasia. Maybe I did something wrong.
These thing are yet to be cleared out.
typewriter wrote:Does every inserted plugin work as a own thread in OSX, i.e. does it use multiple cores by that?
I guess this depends on the host application.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am

Hi guys,
A new test release is now available for download.

Here is what's new:
  • Fixes in MIDI event handling.
  • Fixed bug #118, so you can now safely use the latest builds of qsampler and jsampler.
  • Added initial support for presets, so now you can save the current state of the sampler in presets. This also means that the sampler state is saved in your audio project too and you don't need to manually load instruments every time you open your audio session.
  • Compiled with instruments database support.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Works nicely. I like the 16 channel option. Having channel nummers on the fantasia channels would be usefull, to keep a better overview.

I tried it with Reaper.

I still can't save a session. But I may do it wrong.

I did not make it to route the channels to different tracks in Reaper (crash).

There are still many warning messages in fantasia (broken pipe etc.)

Nevertheless: Great Job!

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:48 pm

typewriter wrote:I did not make it to route the channels to different tracks in Reaper (crash).
If you mean to change the audio device of a sampler channel with loaded instrument I think I fixed that. We'll see in the next test release.
typewriter wrote:Having channel nummers on the fantasia channels would be usefull, to keep a better overview.
They are shown only in the small channel view for now. If you use a lot of sampler channels you might consider changing the channels view to small view.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:32 am

Is the LinuxSampler AU plugin a 64bit program and able to use all available RAM on a Mac Pro running Leopard?

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:50 pm

typewriter wrote:Is the LinuxSampler AU plugin a 64bit program and able to use all available RAM on a Mac Pro running Leopard?
LinuxSamplerAU_20090217.zip is an universal binary only with ppc and i386 architecture types while LinuxSamplerAU_20090227.zip supports ppc, i386 and x86_64. However, whether the LinuxSampler AU plugin is loaded in 64 bit mode or not depends on the host application. For example, if the host application is runing in 32 bit mode the LinuxSampler AU plugin will also run in 32 bit mode. If the plugin doesn't support the architecture type in which the host application is running it will not be shown in the plugin list.

You can list the architecture types in a universal file using lipo. For example:

Code: Select all

lipo -info /Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/MacOS/GarageBand
Note that even if the x86_64 architecture is present, this doesn't mean that the application will launch in 64 bit mode when you run it. You should uncheck "Open in 32 bit mode" checkbox in the app info (right-click and choose Get Info) or run the application from the terminal. For example:

arch -x86_64 /Developer/Applications/Audio/AU\ Lab.app/Contents/MacOS/AU\ Lab

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:44 pm

grishata wrote: Note that even if the x86_64 architecture is present, this doesn't mean that the application will launch in 64 bit mode when you run it. You should uncheck "Open in 32 bit mode" checkbox in the app info (right-click and choose Get Info) or run the application from the terminal. For example:

arch -x86_64 /Developer/Applications/Audio/AU\ Lab.app/Contents/MacOS/AU\ Lab
I may overlook something but if I click on logic.app (8.0.2) or reaper.app (V3alpha2b) and call up "get info" ("information" in german) I can't see a checkbox for "Open in 32 bit mode". Am I looking at the right place? I am running OSX 10.5.5.

Anyway: It's great that the linuxsampler AU plugin supports 64 bit. Neither EXS24 nor Kontakt 3 do that. Linuxsampler AU will be loved by all film composers with large orchestral libraries.