LinuxSampler AU plugin

You name it!
asmeurer

Re: LinuxSampler AU plugin

Post by asmeurer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Woah! I didn't know about AU Lab. That has much less overhead than GarageBand, and it runs in 64-bit, which can't hurt with a 1GB giga file.

Also, you can use the /usr/bin/file command on the executable to determine if it is 64-bit.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:55 pm

typewriter wrote:I may overlook something but if I click on logic.app (8.0.2) or reaper.app (V3alpha2b) and call up "get info" ("information" in german) I can't see a checkbox for "Open in 32 bit mode". Am I looking at the right place? I am running OSX 10.5.5.
Maybe this is because they are not 64 bit apps. Try with AU Lab.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm

With startup of Jsampler/Fantasia I get an error about the instrument database saying it can't be loaded / found. Is this a permission problem on my mac or is it not working yet?

Another thing: What do I have to do to save Midi maps? I can create a map, add instruments etc. in Fantasia but everything is gone when I quit the program.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:59 pm

typewriter wrote:With startup of Jsampler/Fantasia I get an error about the instrument database saying it can't be loaded / found. Is this a permission problem on my mac or is it not working yet?
The default location of the instruments db file is /var/lib/linuxsampler/instruments.db. If you don't have /var/lib/linuxsampler directory, you should create it.
Also you should fix the permissions. Something like:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R o+w /var/lib/linuxsampler
If it is still not working, you should format the instruments database. Open the Instruments Database window in Fantasia (choose Window/Instruments Database or click the corresponding tool button) then choose Actions/Format Database.
typewriter wrote:Another thing: What do I have to do to save Midi maps? I can create a map, add instruments etc. in Fantasia but everything is gone when I quit the program.
From the JSampler manual:
Note that when stopping LinuxSampler all MIDI instrument mappings are gone forever, so it is crucial to export the MIDI instrument maps before quiting your session to be able to load them again next time you start LinuxSampler. This can be done by choosing Actions/Export/MIDI Instrument Maps.
At some latter point I'll add support for storing the MIDI mappings in the presets too.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Midi Maps are working perfectly!

Now I have to find out how I can create a custom sound bank / program file for switching in Reaper and Logic, something Alex already described for Rosegarden in the forum.

Right now both Logic and Reaper show the general midi program names when I insert a program change for Linuxsampler AU and do not match the the program names on the linuxsampler side. Switching works nevertheless. But life would be easier having the right program names in the DAW. :)

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Some things I recogniced while testing:

A minor flaw: The Fantasia GUI sometimes keeps triggered keys "green" forever.

Sometimes notes triggered by Mouse/Pianoroll or Korg Nano Key "hang" and don't stop playing i.e. play endless.

Switching between Logic project is not working very well. Youll have to end Fantasia first, then Logic, load the new song and restart Fantasia. Otherwise Linuxsampker Fantasia either hangs or Logic/Reaper crashes.

Otherwise I love it. While I was irritated in the beginning having no Gui in the plugin window I meanwhile love the concept. While the plugin basically serves as a multichannel audio cable connecting the linuxserver backend with the AU-DAW I love to be able to controll all AU-plugin via one (!) Fantasia GUI.

I am wondering that no plugin company ever came up with that idea. It is so much easier to see everything in one place instead of having to deal with several GUIs on every inserted plugin instance. And midi maps / load on program change features are a killer.

Some suggestions for minor improvements:

Fantasis should "read" the channel/track names from Logic. If you name a track "Violins" (which is also the output track for linuxsampler) Linuxsampler should show outputchannel names according to the track names in Logic. Right now, audio outs are numbered - the samper channels, too - what makes it confusing sometimes.

Saving Midimaps would be nice.

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:43 pm

A midi panic button that sent all notes off, and associated keystroke, would be nice..... :mrgreen:

Alex.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:08 pm

typewriter wrote:Sometimes notes triggered by Mouse/Pianoroll or Korg Nano Key "hang" and don't stop playing i.e. play endless.
This might be due to bug #112 which is now fixed.
typewriter wrote:Switching between Logic project is not working very well. Youll have to end Fantasia first, then Logic, load the new song and restart Fantasia. Otherwise Linuxsampker Fantasia either hangs or Logic/Reaper crashes.
Soon I'll provide new test binary to see if these problems are still there.
typewriter wrote:Fantasis should "read" the channel/track names from Logic.
There is an AU property used to obtain the track name - kAudioUnitProperty_ContextName, unfortunately the only host app I know of that provides this info is Ableton Live. I failed to find another way to get the track name.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 pm

grishata wrote:
typewriter wrote:Fantasis should "read" the channel/track names from Logic.
There is an AU property used to obtain the track name - kAudioUnitProperty_ContextName, unfortunately the only host app I know of that provides this info is Ableton Live. I failed to find another way to get the track name.
Apple is missing its own standards ;-)

I realized that a logic project with linuxsampler already saves all sounds. Loading such a song again reloads all sounds without having fantasia started at all. That is really cool. I am really looking forward to the next version!

There is now a giga-player for OSX coming out: http://www.soundlib.com/gplayer/ No word if it's 64 bit.

I tried it, but it loads only one sound per channel, e.g. you'll need one track for every articulation. No support for program changes. Garbage... Linuxsampler AU with midi maps is far superior for composing/scoring.

How much RAM can Linuxsampler AU use in combination with Logic 8?

On Tascams GVI there is some kind of meter showing how much memory is used. It would be nice having someting like that with Fantasia, too.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 pm

grishata wrote:
typewriter wrote:Sometimes notes triggered by Mouse/Pianoroll or Korg Nano Key "hang" and don't stop playing i.e. play endless.
This might be due to bug #112 which is now fixed.
I tried out the latest Fantasia (8a_cvs7) and I still have these hanging/endless playing notes when I click on the keys very fast. Is there a way, to "reset" fantasia, to stop the sound?