LASH support for LinuxSampler

You name it!
rooz

LASH support for LinuxSampler

Post by rooz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi,

Are you guys planning to add lash support to linuxsampler? Now a 'big' problem of working with audio on linux is the lack of an save-session option and so you have to load all the apps and settings etc. every time...

ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: LASH support for LinuxSampler

Post by ccherrett » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 am

You should be able to save a default setting for each program you are using so it loads your studio for you.

Is that what you are talking about?
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

rooz

Post by rooz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:56 am

yes,
LASH is a session management system for JACK and ALSA audio applications on GNU/Linux. It is an implementation of a proposal that originated from this discussion. Its aim is to allow you to have many different audio programs running at once, to save their setup, close them down and then easily reload the setup at some other time. LASH doesn't deal with any kind of audio data itself; it just runs programs, deals with saving/loading (arbitrary) data and connects different kinds of virtual audio ports together (currently JACK and ALSA sequencer ports). It can also be used to move entire sessions between computers, or post sessions on the Internet for download.
http://lash.nongnu.org/

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Yes, PLEASE consider adding LASH support to LinuxSampler !

Session handling is a Final Frontier for Linux audio. It's not very sexy, and no-one is going to jump up & down about it, but it is becoming a greater necessity as my work becomes more inclusive of other applications. I'm often working with five or more apps, and a single handler would be a godsend when restoring sessions.

In my studio, at least, LinuxSampler runs along with a variety of other Linux audio apps. I can write scripts to automate session restoration, but I need to do so with every project. LASH would simplify such things greatly.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Dave,
As i understand it, Juusi's been upgrading Lash, in tandem with the jack dbus project, and that includes a single session save state. (1 project save for multiapps.)

I'm the same as you here, with several apps running at once, powered by scripts.

Alex.

p.s. I've been having a peek at ecasound, to try and remove non essential graphics from a project as much as possible. Between that, and trying to learn Lilypond syntax, my eyes are swimming with text. I haven't worked this hard in years!

:shock: