For the Future.......

You name it!
Alex

For the Future.......

Post by Alex » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 am

One of the powerful components in LSampler is the multiport setup, making the programme almost infinitely resizable, within HW limits.
However as linux audio/midi apps are all single mcha per track, for orchestral work this presents a challenge with many tracks to deal with. I got to thinking back a few years and how we used to work with just a sampler and daw, using midi to select port and channel from a keyboard, and recording audio straight intoa daw, hw recording device, etc..

My proposal is a simple one.

That an extra component is added to Lsampler in the shape of a port switcher, either built in, or as a complimentary standalone app. With multiple ports we are resigned to using an additional app to switch ports, or cable and uncable ports manually in a patchbay. This is slow and unweildy.
An Lsampler port switcher would reflect the number of active ports, and each port should be able to be activated and deactivated with a User definable keystroke.
Example:

'LSwitcher' port 0 is assigned KS Shift+1
'LSwitcher' port 1 is assigned KS Shift+2

And so on.....

The user simply hits the keystroke, it deactivates the previously active port, and renders the new port active.
The LSwitcher would need to reflect HW and Software ports, in a matrix of some sort, where the user defines input and outputs.

With this type of Utility programme, we can skip the extra app, simply choose bank/patch, and port with keystrokes, and concentrating on recording, without having to switch screens, desktops, etc..
My large orchestral template (being finetuned now) has 38 ports, representing nearly my entire sample library.
So a KS driven switcher would make handling such a large template, considerably easier.

I suggest here that the port switcher comes in the form of a narrow strip, that can sit at the bottom of a screen, under the recording app. (Ardour, RG, Muse, etc....)

Alex.

ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: For the Future.......

Post by ccherrett » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:20 pm

So eliminating the need to use the Event List Editor in Rosegarden?

If so then I would agree that this would be a very handy app however it would need to keep track of a session so it could playback the changes and be able to adjust them after the initial recording.

Would this be easier to do in Rosegarden or would the benefit of having it as a seperate app that works at a lower level help all sequencers? Possibly talking to Linuxsampler is the right way to do it so it is not tied to a sequencer.

Nice idea!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org