Fantasia instrument db view inconsitency

You name it!
ccherrett
Advanced User

Fantasia instrument db view inconsitency

Post by ccherrett » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 am

I was creating my database in Fantasia and came accross a small issue that is causing the way my programs are layout in my gigs to be all wrong.

I am using Opus 1 and 2 from the VSL libraries. They provide a decent mapping of thier instruments that I would like to maintain. The only issue is they have blank programs/patches in thier banks that they use as headings. See below -- BASIC INSTRUMENT -- and -- RELEASE TRIGGER --. this is very handy to understand the way they layout thier patches. I was able to add the index column and sort by it to fix the issue of the programs being messed order wise:

So all is well with this. The problem occurs when I try to use the db to load a channel. I get this:

You will notice it is sorting by name and there is no way to add an index field to sort it out. This becomes very hard to deal with in many cases where there are 40+ patches. Also notice how the names are not the most descriptive. The Headders they created with blank programs come in handy here.

Could someone add the index field to the select instrument dialog?

Thanks!
Last edited by dahnielson on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject to be more descriptive
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: Fantasia Enhancement Request

Post by ccherrett » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 am

Another thing would be the ability to select from your database when creating a midi map.
Christopher Cherrett

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am

Yes, inconsistency isn't good.

As a temporary work around: Open the regular instrument db window (that has an index column) and right click on the instrument you wish to load and select "Load Instrument" in the right-click menu.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:46 am

Hi Chris,
I'll implement your request.
However, note that you can rename the instruments in the Instruments database and also you can consider using Orchestras.

More info:
To add an instrument to MIDI instrument map from the Instruments Database, right-click on the instrument and choose Add To MIDI Map, then choose the MIDI instrument map to which to add the selected instrument. Note that you need to have at least one MIDI instrument map, otherwise the Add To MIDI Map submenu is disabled.
Tip: To add more than one instrument from an instrument directory at a time, select the instruments and right-click on one of the selected instruments.

To add an instrument to orchestra from the Instruments Database, right-click on the instrument and choose Add To Orchestra, then choose the orchestra to which to add the selected instrument. Note that you need to have at least one orchestra, otherwise the Add To Orchestra submenu is disabled.
Tip: To add more than one instrument from an instrument directory at a time, select the instruments and right-click on one of the selected instruments.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Also, I would suggest you to create separate subdirectories and move the instruments from every category to the corresponding subdirectory e.g Basic Instruments, Release Trigger, ...
This can be done the same way you are doing it in a file manager - Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, ...

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Great!

Thank you all for the quick responces. I am so glad it is so easy to deal with adding the midi maps!

I am going to keep everything the same for my wife's sake. She is use to the layout and I am trying hard to make this as easy as possible for her so she can just compose.

I will for now use the load from the db.

Thank you all again!
Christopher Cherrett