Bugs in sfz/sf2 engines

You name it!
West

Bugs in sfz/sf2 engines

Post by West » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks to the devs for releasing new Windows binaries, finally I've been able to take the new sf2/sfz capable LinuxSampler out for a spin. I figured I should post my findings here, even though I suppose much (or all) of it are known issues, as the new engines have been available for Linux users for a while. Anyway:

SFZ

- Velocity-triggered filters and envelopes are not working. Any plans on adding support for these opcodes?
- Loops do not play.

SF2

- All soundfonts have reeeeally long release times.

GENERAL

- Changing the host samplerate with LS running crashes the host (in this case, REAPER)

My apologies in advance if this is not the place to report bugs.

thebestmeicanbe

Re: Bugs in sfz/sf2 engines

Post by thebestmeicanbe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 am

I haven't encountered any playability issues so far, but when opening a saved project in Reaper 3.73 on XP SP3 (32bit), using the Fantasia frontend, SFZ/SF2 files fail to load (gig files load properly though). I don't know about QSampler, or even if it makes a difference...

And, although not a bug, it's a little annoying having to select the right engine every time before loading an SFZ/2 file.

Nevertheless, I'm really excited to have another faithful SF2 and SFZ option to turn to now... it's sort of sad that the formats have both been around for such a long while now and the only freeware VST I'm aware of, aside from LinuxSampler, that respects either specification is the abandoned rgc SFZ player. So the efforts of the LinuxSampler squad are much appreciated.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:45 am

Hi Guys,

I have downloaded and installed the most recent Windows snapshot (thanks for that awesome idea!), and have played the Salamander piano sfz set, and a bunch of the instruments in the Creative Commons Orchestra set (Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra). They are both sounding great :)

The biggest question I have is when will the sfz engine support looped samples? Some the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra instruments are 'sustain' based, and without support for loops they obviously don't 'sustain'. I would be very happy to be involved with the testing of this feature, but don't have the skills to add it to the engine.

Great work guys! Thanks,

GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:55 am

Hmm, I see from the LinuxSampler SFZ Reference that there are loop definitions available... (loop_mode=, loop_start=, loop_end=), so perhaps one just needs to tweak the sfz definition files to get the loops working?

Has any one done this yet?

GrahamG

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:36 am

I just tried adding

<control>
loop_mode=loop_continuous

to the sfz file of one of the sustaining instruments, and still no loop... so I guess this really is a bug?

GrahamG

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:26 pm

thebestmeicanbe wrote:I haven't encountered any playability issues so far, but when opening a saved project in Reaper 3.73 on XP SP3 (32bit), using the Fantasia frontend, SFZ/SF2 files fail to load (gig files load properly though).
I've just committed a fix for this. The engine type wasn't saved in the plugin state information.

thebestmeicanbe

Post by thebestmeicanbe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

Andreas wrote:
thebestmeicanbe wrote:I haven't encountered any playability issues so far, but when opening a saved project in Reaper 3.73 on XP SP3 (32bit), using the Fantasia frontend, SFZ/SF2 files fail to load (gig files load properly though).
I've just committed a fix for this. The engine type wasn't saved in the plugin state information.
Oh, thank you! Very much appreciated.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:58 pm

ggoodesa wrote:I just tried adding

<control>
loop_mode=loop_continuous

to the sfz file of one of the sustaining instruments, and still no loop... so I guess this really is a bug?
Looping actually worked, but you had to add loop_start and loop_end too. LS didn't read the loop info from the wav files. I just committed a fix for that.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Thank you Andreas!! We'll test this again when it is in the snapshot build. Excellent work :)

GrahamG

Ghekorg7

Post by Ghekorg7 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:27 am

Hi to all.

At last 3 engines in LS for windows.
After Andreas fixed the issues with loops in sfz and some tiks and releases in sf2, I enjoy !!

1st i loaded Salamander v2, I owed that to rythmenpine, and finaly I got it great and fast ! SUPER PIANO ALEX ! thanks for your excellent work.
Sonatina came next, all good. super orchestra !
All that i got (over 8GB) followed and all OK.

As I do some models for jOrgan and free download, I had to test the sf2 engine. Coool !
I'm now playin' with this setup :
jOrgan 3.12.3 x64 controls REAPER 3.7.5 x64. There I open LS x64 VSTi with Fantasia front end and Lexicon PCM jBridged. LS loaded all 48 ranks (=48 sf2 s) of my custom pipe organ fast and then routed to Lexicon. All great.

THANK you for this great version of LS !
Panos