Before I download - will this work with VSL Pro Edition?

You name it!
Andreas
Developer

Re: Before I download - will this work with VSL Pro Edition?

Post by Andreas » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Hamish wrote:So I've created a diagram which demonstrates the problem:
What gig file and instrument do you use in that scenario?

Is it possible to repeat the problem with for example a gig file included in the GigaStudio Orchestra 3 content? I don't have any VSL libraries except the ones included there.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:39 pm

LinuxSampler includes an instrument editor (gigedit) which you can use to check the settings of the patch. Maybe this can bring something more insight of what's actually the issue. You could also use the editor to create a small .gig instrument which you can give use to reproduce the problem.

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:53 pm

I don't know if this gig is included with GigaStudio Orchestra. It's called VI_perf-leg_f_porta. It's a performance legato patch which requires the performance tool, so it's probably not included in GigaStudio Orchestra. I'll upload it to my Windows Live SkyDrive very temporarily so you guys can get it. Or maybe not... filesize upload is limited to 50 MB, and this GIG is 1.4 GB so the actual instrument itself is probably around 400 MB. That's too much for me to upload. Could you give me more details on how I'd check the settings of the patch with gigedit?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Hamish wrote:I don't know if this gig is included with GigaStudio Orchestra. It's called VI_perf-leg_f_porta. It's a performance legato patch which requires the performance tool, so it's probably not included in GigaStudio Orchestra. I'll upload it to my Windows Live SkyDrive very temporarily so you guys can get it. Or maybe not... filesize upload is limited to 50 MB, and this GIG is 1.4 GB so the actual instrument itself is probably around 400 MB. That's too much for me to upload. Could you give me more details on how I'd check the settings of the patch with gigedit?
We don't want you to upload any copyrighted material.

Maybe you can record the MIDI coming out from the performance tool into a track in sonar, so we know exactly what midi LS gets? This can then be used to identify what sample inside the gig file that is used for that first note.

(GS3 includes two performance legato demo instruments, Clarinet and Viola Ensemble. They use the GS3 built-in legato tool, which isn't supported in LS yet.)

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Andreas wrote:
Hamish wrote:I don't know if this gig is included with GigaStudio Orchestra. It's called VI_perf-leg_f_porta. It's a performance legato patch which requires the performance tool, so it's probably not included in GigaStudio Orchestra. I'll upload it to my Windows Live SkyDrive very temporarily so you guys can get it. Or maybe not... filesize upload is limited to 50 MB, and this GIG is 1.4 GB so the actual instrument itself is probably around 400 MB. That's too much for me to upload. Could you give me more details on how I'd check the settings of the patch with gigedit?
We don't want you to upload any copyrighted material.

Maybe you can record the MIDI coming out from the performance tool into a track in sonar, so we know exactly what midi LS gets? This can then be used to identify what sample inside the gig file that is used for that first note.

(GS3 includes two performance legato demo instruments, Clarinet and Viola Ensemble. They use the GS3 built-in legato tool, which isn't supported in LS yet.)
Okay, although there is such a thing as fair use - where copyrighted material can be shared for certain purposes, as far as I know.
But yes, I'll record the midi output of the performance tool.

Here:

If a midi file would be better just tell me.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:11 pm

Hamish wrote: Here:
Ok, thanks. Do you think you can figure out in gigedit (or GigaStudio Editor if you want) exactly which sample and which parameters that are used for that first note?

The first short note at C#1 is most probably a key switching command, then the real note is at B2. In gigedit you load the gig, choose the instrument under "Instruments". Right-click the instrument name and choose Properties. There you see Keyswitching range low and high. With help of these you can figure out which number for the keyswitching dimension that C#1 corresponds to.

Click on the region above B2 in the keyboard. The dimensions for that region is then shown at the bottom of the window. Click on the velocity and keyswitching dimension you think are used. Then, hopefully, in the Sample tab, information about the interesting sample will be shown. Take a screenshot of that.

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:13 pm

How very odd! The keyswitching range is from C#-1 (minus 1) to E0... The C#1 at the start isn't a keyswitch!
Also, I was able to get my GigaStudio machine running for a bit - and the looping problem persists in Gigastudio. Except that it's not a looping problem, I consulted VSL and these legato patches don't use looped sustain, all the notes last for about 2 bars @ 120 bpm. So it's not a bad loop - it's that the same is repeating from the start after one bar for some unknown reason. But since this isn't the fault of LinuxSampler, I'll get help from VSL on this issue.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:27 am

Hamish wrote:How very odd! The keyswitching range is from C#-1 (minus 1) to E0... The C#1 at the start isn't a keyswitch!
I guess that it's just Sonar and gigedit that don't use the same octave numbering. In gigedit I chose the same one that is used in GigaStudio. So if the C#1 in Sonar is C#0 in gigedit, then it means that it is keyswitch number 13 (counting from 1 to 16).

So, 13 means normal sustain, 1 means legato up one semi-tone, 2 means legato up two semi-tones, etc.
Also, I was able to get my GigaStudio machine running for a bit - and the looping problem persists in Gigastudio. Except that it's not a looping problem, I consulted VSL and these legato patches don't use looped sustain, all the notes last for about 2 bars @ 120 bpm. So it's not a bad loop - it's that the same is repeating from the start after one bar for some unknown reason.
Weird, maybe it's just that particular sample that is bad.
But since this isn't the fault of LinuxSampler, I'll get help from VSL on this issue.
OK, hope they'll solve it for you.

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:02 pm

VSL are unable to help me because I bought my copy from eBay. Apparently selling a copy of VSL breaks their service agreement, so the recipient of the sold copy isn't entitled to technical support.
So if you guys could assist me in solving the problem myself that would be great. We've established that C#1 causes a normal sustain to occur, how could I find out what sample this triggers so I could examine the sample itself?

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Hamish wrote:Apparently selling a copy of VSL breaks their service agreement, so the recipient of the sold copy isn't entitled to technical support.
I thought a licence could be transfered to the new owner. Well, they are not really famous for customer support, aren't they?