professional orchestra and piano sound library

The market is big, the differences among libraries, too. Discuss which libraries are your digital gold, and which ones are better left in stores.
Markus3000

professional orchestra and piano sound library

Post by Markus3000 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi there,

I am searching for a professional sound library (orchestra and/or piano) that works stable under Linux (Debian) and costs between 100€-300€. Any experiences? Is there only VST or can I look after some other formats? What about the gig, sfz ... formats that LinuxSampler works with - are there professional libraries in the market?

Please tell your experiences or post a link where I can see more or just buy a library.

Musical greetings

Markus

PS I am professional, classical composer. the sound libraries mustn´t be the best, it´s just for my own work. But: the free sonatina orchestra library isn´t good enough for me, the Salamander Grand Piano, too.

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: professional orchestra and piano sound library

Post by typewriter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 am

You could try to get the smaller (old) VSL library: It's called OPUS 1 and OPUS 2.

I guess you could get it used on Ebay (the are not available anymore). They are giga format.

lsamp

Re: professional orchestra and piano sound library

Post by lsamp » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:49 pm

There are no good piano sfs which is intentionally done to make you buy... What's the difference between good and bad sfs? I suppose the bad ones do not have notes to full length. If i press a key of my piano the note will last for 30 seconds at least. But those free fonts hardly offer sounds of longer than 6 seconds. The way out? Just record all keys of your piano and make your own sounfont using Polyphone. Find polyphone manual on youtube. It's easy, you just need to assign rootkey numbers to your loaded wav samples, create insturment, assign samples to instrument, create preset, assign instrument as preset... As simple as that. And you will have your professional sounfont. You can also add reverberation. Record hands clap inside of piano and load the recorded wav into jconvolver and voila - you have reverberation of own piano. If i had a good microphone i would make my own prof sf within a day...