EWQL to gigastudio

The market is big, the differences among libraries, too. Discuss which libraries are your digital gold, and which ones are better left in stores.
TChris

EWQL to gigastudio

Post by TChris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi,

I've downloaded the EWQL Symphic free edition. Is there a way to convert ewi instrument to gigastudio ?

Thanks.

Chris

TChris

Re: EWQL to gigastudio

Post by TChris » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:11 am

I've installed the EWQL symphonic free edition on my windows virtual machine and I saw that samples are in WAV format while instruments are in EWI format. I can play them with EW PLAY software.

As samples are in WAV format, it is possible to create new gigastudio instruments based on them. The problem is that I have no idea which sample is used for a particular instrument, articulation, ... I can listen to each of the samples and try to classify them but it will be quite long.

Is there a way to read the EWI files and extract information about the samples they use ?

Thanks,

Chris

Alex

Re: EWQL to gigastudio

Post by Alex » Sat May 15, 2010 7:39 am

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

I did a bit of fishing around, and no luck. The EWQL format is proprietary, and not a format for linux, or indeed, usuable in Linuxsampler. So it's a case of sticking to the Windows box for your EWQL stuff.
If you want to extract the samples, and convert them to "something", then SFZ may be your better option. Contrary to gig format, SFZ is simply a folder containing your samples, and a text file that you "play" to get the sounds going.
You'll need to build the SFZ yourself, and there's a bit of study involved, but it may give you a good long term result. Here's some reference material to get you started.

http://www.cakewalk.com/devxchange/sfz.asp

You can of course build the gig file, if you choose that format, in gigedit, and again, there's a bit of work involved as you'll have to do this manually.

Good luck.

Alex.