Hydrogen

The market is big, the differences among libraries, too. Discuss which libraries are your digital gold, and which ones are better left in stores.
konsumer

Hydrogen

Post by konsumer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:51 am

I made a script that converts hydrogen drumkits to SF2 soundfonts available on google code. I converted all the drumkits on the hydrogen site to gig files, using awave studio in a windows emulator. It's about 11 megs, and available here (temporary, may move, at some point.) This will allow you to use linuxsampler instead of hydrogen, and sequence everything through seq24, or whatever you use. If you haven't used hydrogen with these, they are totally excellent drumkits, that can handle most of your general purpose drum needs (organ-era, tr808-909, realistic drumkit, techno, hiphop, middle-eastern, etc) It's 17 kits, total.

sbenno
Developer

Re: Hydrogen

Post by sbenno » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi konsumer, thanks for the samples.
cuse said that if these are GIG files (royalty-free) which work well with LinuxSampler we could host them on the LinuxSampler instruments
page:
http://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html

If you agree we could add them to the above page and add the notes you posted and of course credit you if you want to provide a real name or prefer to just be credited as konsumer :)

please let us know,
thanks,
Benno

konsumer

Post by konsumer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:00 am

Sure!

I am not sure what the licensing is.

Hydrogen is distributed under the terms/conditions of the GNU General Public Licence.

They added a whole bunch of new ones, so I should probably convert the rest if people are interested.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 am

cool ! Yes, please convert the remaining ones and let us know so we can post the whole stuff.
cheers,
Benno

konsumer

Post by konsumer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:46 am

http://hydro2sf2.googlecode.com/files/H ... umkits.gig

Ok, so this time, I just made one very large collection gig font. This should make it easier to distribute, and use, and I think the compression benefits from it (less headers, more data to run through? I dunno.) It has all the soundfonts I could convert. A couple gave the error "no sound files" or some such, so I just skipped them (Millo_MultiLayered2 & some other, don't remember)

Also, a few of these crash linuxsampler. they are probably bad files, either due to my python script, or to awave studio. I'd love to get some testing going on this, and see if I can fix it. I don't have the time to do it by myself, right now.

I would really like to be converting sf2 to gig, purely in python, or even creating gigs directly from hydrogen xml files, so if anyone knows of a lib that I can do this (make gig files), I would much appreciate it. Even a linux-command-line program, written in anything, would be a great improvement.

I'd also like to improve the SF2 creation part. Since I made the script, I think I have a found a few libs that seem a lot more feature-rich for this purpose, and I've learned some good tricks that might make it better. Again, when I have more time, I would be willing to port the hydro2sf2 to something leaner, and better. Maybe in that version I could include using a more python way of converting the samples (currently uses linux command-line flac and sox.)

frink

Post by frink » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I've not seen python bindings for the richness of gig creation but you could always jump to C/C++ and do it from there. Might be a small learning curve and I understand that that this type of tool warrants a scripting lang. But we can't have everything we want can we?
"Bugs taste better when crushed." - MiCON FRiNK, the digital coding lemur from Borneo.