How to setup multiple MIDI Ports for LS VSTi (winXP 32bit)

Things that make the work with LinuxSampler & Co easier, better, faster, louder and more sexy. Including friends like JACK, ALSA, etc.
Octron
User

How to setup multiple MIDI Ports for LS VSTi (winXP 32bit)

Post by Octron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi,
how can I set up multiple VSTi-MIDI Ports in Linuxsampler for running more than 16 channels of instruments.
Linuxsampler denies to allocate a new VSTi Driver to the program....
And I cannot increase the number of Ports....

Best regards, Markus
---------------
Windows XP SP2, 4GB (3,5GB) RAM, Phenom X4, Linuxsampler, Reaper, Sonar

cuse
Developer

Re: How to setup multiple MIDI Ports for LS VSTi (winXP 32bit)

Post by cuse » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:00 am

You can't change those MIDI device settings on a VST instance of LinuxSampler. And there is no need for it. Usually you just have to open a new instance of the LinuxSampler VST in your sequencer application for getting more MIDI inputs. Which VST host application are you using and what is the error message?

Octron
User

Post by Octron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:25 pm

Okay, but the jsampler denies to allocate a voice channel to the new VSTi port.
Seems to be an error Issue of Jsampler because the Linuxsampler can change the MIDI device of a Voice channel.
At this time it seems that it can only be worked around via the script-file, there you can change the Inputdevice number of some channels and reload it into the jsampler. The Jsampler then correctly routes the channels.
Then I can route 16 voice channels to VSTi device 0 port 0, 16 channels to VSTi device 1 port 0, device 2 port 0 and so on.....

I know that my host understands more than one MIDI port on a single VSTi Instrument.
For example, the gigasampler shows up 8 ports, each with 16 channels....

The programer of the Jsampler should make it possible, that a single VSTi instrument can comunicate via more than one port with the host application.
I am using Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 producer.

Best Regards, Markus
---------------

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Ok maybe there is a little misunderstanding. When you open a new instance of the LinuxSampler VSTi in your VST host application, it will not create a completely new instance of the sampler, nor will it waste unnecessary resources. In LinuxSampler appears 1 new audio output device and 1 new MIDI input device and 16 sampler channels ("voice channels) for each VSTi instance automatically (those are created by the internal plugin subsystem of LinuxSampler). So what are you trying to approach by creating a MIDI port which you cannot achieve by creating a new LinuxSampler VSTi instance?

Octron
User

Post by Octron » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi, I just want to have access to multiple midi ports, each with 16 channels.
Whether the LS recognizes them as a new Device with one port or as the old device with a new port is really not interesting for me.

What IS interesting is, that the Jsampler denies to change the midi device. Inside Jsampler Fantasia you can not change MIDI device 0 to 1 or the other way around inside an Instrument Channel while linuxsampler is running. This is totally stupid.
You have to save a script file and edit the ports with the editor.

Or does the Jsampler work correctly on your pc?
---------------

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:43 am

You're right, this is something we have missed. When you create the second LS VST instance you get one sampler channel running in this instance, that is, it is using the second MIDI and audio device. But then there is no way to add more sampler channels to the second instance. Adding a new channel in Fantasia always creates one in the first VST instance.

I don't think it's just a Fantasia bug however. A sampler channel in the VST belongs to a certain plugin instance, and one instance can't use another one's devices. So, I think that when a sampler channel wants to switch to another MIDI device (and, at the same time, audio device), the sampler channel has to be recreated.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Will this be fixed in the near future? Or is there a workaround?

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:45 pm

I've just confirmed the same behaviour with the VSTi hosted in Reaper. While the error message comes up in Fantasia, there is nothing showing in the LS console.

I tried QSampler and the behaviour is a little different. It lets you select the new MIDI device for the new channel without giving you an error message when you click OK, but the device is not actually changed.
(In the first 16 channels, the second MIDI device doesn't show up as being available, which I would assume is the correct behaviour. It does show in Fantasia)

Cheers
Graham

Bennett

Post by Bennett » Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 am

Is there any progress with this function/behavior? If not, are there any workarounds?

Octron
User

I've got it!!!! multiple MIDI Ports for LS VSTi

Post by Octron » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 pm

Okay folks,
here is the work-around.

:D

1. create as much VST - Sampler instances in your DAW as you need.
(If you need 32 midi Channels create 2 VST Linux instances in your Sequencer program.)

2. Click on one Instance - the Fantasia Frontend will load.
If you see only one Input Output Port but you allready have made two instances do the following:
Go to menue ACTIONS- REFRESH or press the Key "F5".

If you want to create a new Instrument channel the Fantasia Sampler frontend creates by default a channel which is allocated to the first MIDI Port and the first audio port. If the channel is already created, you cannot re allocate it to an other port.

The thing is to tell the Fantasia Frontend not to do something by default.
So here is it:

*tadaaaaa*
Go to menue Edit - preferences - defaults
therein deselect the hook at "use default actions when channel is created".

Afterwards you have to select the sampler engine, the MIDI Port and the Audio Port by your own.
Thats all.

:lol:

Best Regards, Markus
---------------