Optimised Flags

Things that make the work with LinuxSampler & Co easier, better, faster, louder and more sexy. Including friends like JACK, ALSA, etc.
Alex

Optimised Flags

Post by Alex » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 pm

For a lot of new users, even with the excellent documentation available on the website, there's sometimes a degree of uncertainty when building Linuxsampler with optimization flags.

As a general guide to give users a chance the first time out, can fellow users who've optimized their machines, please post their HW configs, and the flags they used which gave the best results?

Please note any configurations posted are only a guide, and not meant to a definitive setting, or settings.

If we can keep this thread simple, with just settings, and any brief extras you had to consider when optimizing, it would be appreciated. (including whether you're running 32 or 64bit.)

Thanks,

Alex.

luisgarrido

Re: Optimised Flags

Post by luisgarrido » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:53 pm

I have a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz. Fooled around with the benchmarks and came up with this:

Code: Select all

CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -ffast-math -mmmx -msse -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer"
I don't recall the exact figures, but the improvement was about 10% of CPU usage.

frink

Post by frink » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Seems to me there used to be a set of flags that allowed increase of polyphony and stream from disk/ram options. But I can't even seems to find them with Google as my friend. It's been over a year since I compiled my own but I missed these optimizations... It used to be right there in the compile docs...

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Thats not necessary anymore. You can now adjust the limit for voices and disk streams at runtime. There is however still such configure parameters which now define the default amount of voices and disk streams, but as said, they can be overridden at runtime at any time. But anyway, the parameters are --enable-max-voices=NUMBER and --enable-max-streams=NUMBER