Sometimes notes don't play when playing live

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Andreas
Developer

Re: Sometimes notes don't play when playing live

Post by Andreas » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:44 am

Yes, I have GPII but I've never noticed any problems like that. I also tried the test gig you sent me and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

So, sorry, I have no idea on what's causing it. Looking at your log file I can't see anyhing that differs between note-on #5 and #7 and the rest.

If you record a MIDI sequence where you get missing notes, is the same notes then missing everytime you play the sequence?

alvin_a_garcia

Post by alvin_a_garcia » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Andreas wrote:Yes, I have GPII but I've never noticed any problems like that. I also tried the test gig you sent me and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

So, sorry, I have no idea on what's causing it. Looking at your log file I can't see anyhing that differs between note-on #5 and #7 and the rest.

If you record a MIDI sequence where you get missing notes, is the same notes then missing everytime you play the sequence?
Hello Andreas,

Thank you for the feedback and trying to reproduce my problem. I certainly appreciate it.

I recorded a MIDI sequence as suggested and found that it is not the same notes that are silent each time I play the sequence; It seems random which notes will sound each time I play the sequence. I wonder if I'm hitting a race condition? I sent you the URL for my test case in a PM. Can you try playing this MIDI sequence with your LinuxSampler and the test GIg and seeing if the note always sounds for you? Something I think I forgot to mention before is that I only observe this behavior on this region (C2) for medium-velocity note-on's. Interestingly, I think the note-off sample (hammer noise) usually still sounds when the corresponding note-on sample does not.

May I ask what configure flags you're using to build LS, and what compiler and compiler version you're using? I've tried compiling LS with both gcc 4.1.2 and 3.4.6 and get the same strange results. Also, are you using a realtime kernel? I'm using Planet CCRMA's 2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrmart kernel on top of a Fedora 8 install.

Thank you again!

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:18 am

alvin_a_garcia wrote:I sent you the URL for my test case in a PM.
Are you sure? I didn't get any PM I think.
alvin_a_garcia wrote:May I ask what configure flags you're using to build LS, and what compiler and compiler version you're using?
I'm using gcc 4.2.2 and sometimes 4.3-0.20070713 (pre-release version found in Mandriva 2008.0). Compiler-flags: -O2 -mfpmath=sse -g. Kernel: 2.6.22.1-rt9.

alvin_a_garcia

Post by alvin_a_garcia » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:24 pm

Andreas wrote:
alvin_a_garcia wrote:I sent you the URL for my test case in a PM.
Are you sure? I didn't get any PM I think.
alvin_a_garcia wrote:May I ask what configure flags you're using to build LS, and what compiler and compiler version you're using?
I'm using gcc 4.2.2 and sometimes 4.3-0.20070713 (pre-release version found in Mandriva 2008.0). Compiler-flags: -O2 -mfpmath=sse -g. Kernel: 2.6.22.1-rt9.
Oops, I forgot to send you the URL for the MIDI file test case. It's http://www.aagarcia.fastmail.fm/testcase1.mid (same username and password that I PM'd you before). I'd appreciate if you could test with this MIDI file and the Gig instrument I PM'd to you before.

I'll try rebuilding LS using the gcc 4.2.2 and the compiler flags you're using, and will report if I can reproduce the problem or not.

Thanks very much again!

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:41 pm

I've tried the midi file now, and it turns out that I also have the problem. Most of the times all eight notes are played ok, but sometimes one or two of them are missing. Very strange.

alvin_a_garcia

Post by alvin_a_garcia » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Andreas wrote:I've tried the midi file now, and it turns out that I also have the problem. Most of the times all eight notes are played ok, but sometimes one or two of them are missing. Very strange.
Thank you for testing with the MIDI file. I'm glad that you were able to reproduce the problem; I was starting to think that I was insane. :D

Should I file a bug somewhere for this?

Thank you.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun May 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Could you try this patch and check if the problem is still there?

Code: Select all

Index: linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp
===================================================================
RCS file: /var/cvs/linuxsampler/linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.74
diff -u -2 -r1.74 Voice.cpp
--- linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp	17 Feb 2008 12:40:59 -0000	1.74
+++ linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp	4 May 2008 11:29:06 -0000
@@ -782,5 +782,5 @@
         RTList<Event>::Iterator itNoteEvent = pEngineChannel->pMIDIKeyInfo[MIDIKey].pEvents->first();

-        if (Skip) { // skip events that happened before this voice was triggered
+        if (itTriggerEvent) { // skip events that happened before this voice was triggered
             while (itCCEvent && itCCEvent->FragmentPos() <= Skip) ++itCCEvent;
             while (itNoteEvent && itNoteEvent->FragmentPos() <= Skip) ++itNoteEvent;

alvin_a_garcia

Post by alvin_a_garcia » Sun May 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Andreas wrote:Could you try this patch and check if the problem is still there?

Code: Select all

Index: linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp
===================================================================
RCS file: /var/cvs/linuxsampler/linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.74
diff -u -2 -r1.74 Voice.cpp
--- linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp	17 Feb 2008 12:40:59 -0000	1.74
+++ linuxsampler/src/engines/gig/Voice.cpp	4 May 2008 11:29:06 -0000
@@ -782,5 +782,5 @@
         RTList<Event>::Iterator itNoteEvent = pEngineChannel->pMIDIKeyInfo[MIDIKey].pEvents->first();

-        if (Skip) { // skip events that happened before this voice was triggered
+        if (itTriggerEvent) { // skip events that happened before this voice was triggered
             while (itCCEvent && itCCEvent->FragmentPos() <= Skip) ++itCCEvent;
             while (itNoteEvent && itNoteEvent->FragmentPos() <= Skip) ++itNoteEvent;
This patch seems to have fixed the problem, as I can no longer reproduce the problem after applying this patch. Terrific! Thank you very much. Does LinuxSampler have a mechanism whereby grateful users, such as myself, can make donations to the project and/or its developers?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat May 10, 2008 10:15 am

alvin_a_garcia wrote:Does LinuxSampler have a mechanism whereby grateful users, such as myself, can make donations to the project and/or its developers?
Wow, we haven't event expected that someone would like to do that. :) Usually donations for open source audio projects don't go well at all. The only exception I know of is Ardour, which apparently seems to go quite well. Well, we'll see if we establish a paypal donation button or whatever... but ATM we don't have anything. Thanks anyway! :)