gigedit questions

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
azathoth

gigedit questions

Post by azathoth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:18 pm

I've been trying to learn how to use gigedit. So far it's rather self explanatory, but I've got a couple of questions.
First, how exactly do the velocity curve settings (depth and scaling) affect the 3 velocity curve types? Or better yet, is there anywhere I can read about any of the settings in 'Misc' tab ?

Also, a bit unrelated to gigedit itself, is it possible to dynamically mix two samples? For example, if I have 2 velocity layers in one region with 2 different samples, can the velocities close to the split use both samples at different volumes, to make a smoother transition from one sample to the next ?

Thanks

dahnielson

Re: gigedit questions

Post by dahnielson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:50 pm

I would also like an explanation of the curve stuff under the Misc tab. Well, I have a feeling of what it does after playing around with it. But a proper explanation would be good.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:54 am

The "velocity response" is the relationship between midi note-on velocity and volume.

The "release velocity response" is the relationship between midi note-on velocity and length of the envelope release.

"curve" and "depth" together choose between 15 different curves, see http://hem.spray.se/andreas56/curves/

"curve scaling" moves the curve up for values > 20 and down for values < 20. A value of 0 is the same as 20.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:00 am

azathoth wrote:Also, a bit unrelated to gigedit itself, is it possible to dynamically mix two samples? For example, if I have 2 velocity layers in one region with 2 different samples, can the velocities close to the split use both samples at different volumes, to make a smoother transition from one sample to the next ?
Yes. You first create a "Layer" dimension (instead of the Velocity dimension). Then you choose velocity as Attenuation controller on the "Amplitude (2)" tab and adjust the Crossfade-sliders.

azathoth

Post by azathoth » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks very much =)

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Andreas wrote:The "velocity response" is the relationship between midi note-on velocity and volume.
As an old MIDI hand I'd like to add that velocity does not only relate to loudness, it is also related to brightness, i.e. the harder the key is struck the more high frequency content is present in the resulting sound. This can be an important distinction: If you want a true volume fade, without a change in the timbre of the patch, you use MIDI controller #7, which has no effect on the timbre.
The "release velocity response" is the relationship between midi note-on velocity and length of the envelope release.
Does LS support true note-off velocity ? If so, I hope that it's not been hardwired to a particular effect or modulation path. Alas, most synths from the 1980s and 1990s did not support true note-offs and note-off velocity, but IIRC those that did typically allowed routing the velocity to a user-selected destination, which could make for some very strange effects.

An LS MIDI implementation chart might be a good thing to prepare. I wish all soft-synths and samplers would include one.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:06 pm

davephillips wrote:As an old MIDI hand I'd like to add that velocity does not only relate to loudness, it is also related to brightness, i.e. the harder the key is struck the more high frequency content is present in the resulting sound. This can be an important distinction: If you want a true volume fade, without a change in the timbre of the patch, you use MIDI controller #7, which has no effect on the timbre.
Yes, but I was only trying to explain the three gig parameters called "Velocity response curve", "Velocity response depth" and "Velocity response curve scaling" and they only affect the volume. But the gig format allows MIDI velocity to change other things too, for example the filter also has velocity curve parameters (on the "Filter (1)" tab in gigedit), which can be used to change the brightness as you describe.
Does LS support true note-off velocity ?
No, it doesn't.